The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont think of myself as a gear snob...ive made or altered all of my stuff (minus guitars, well not electronically)...i only have one high end guitar which fell into my hands by luck...
Anyways...
I realized today that maybe i do have a bit of a nose joint...as i scrolled past a Epiphone Custom LP and landed on a 70's Vantage LP it hit me that...wow...i prefer 70's LP copies to Epi's...why? I dont know, but i have a late 70's Univox that sings and i think it's set the bar
Anyways...thats all
/endconfession

·
Premium Member
25,114 Posts
It's not wrong to have a sentimental attachment to older things, or to "the underdog", or to things that are idiosyncratic.

L

·
0 Posts
i have a late 70's Univox that sings and i think it's set the bar
That was the first electric that I bought for myself.
'75 oxblood LP.
The only LP that I currently own is an early 70's MIJ Gession.
I don't have any urge to buy a Gibby. One LP is sufficient.

·
Premium Member
10,439 Posts
old vs new
domestic vs offshore
expensive vs cheap
name brand vs off-brand

sometimes I think we make too much of it. just play what you like. I bet in blind-tests, our choices would surprise us.
in fairness, some of my more expensive purchases have more to do with prestige and resale then with enjoyment. and I'm ok with that and its none-of-yer-goddam-bizness. :)

·
Registered
10,905 Posts
Let's also not forget that a lot of the 'iconic' Les Pauls played by legendary players were purchased used, the headstocks had been broken off and repaired, the pickups had been monkeyed with, and someone else didn't want it because something was wrong with it.

Our heroes bought them because it was a guitar they could afford and they made due with it.

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Remember also that a late 70s japanese LPs where (in many cases, not all) actually better than contemporary Gibsons. An acquaintance's Ibanez certainly was (Ibanez was not a respected brand back then at all). 80s Greco Fire and Tbirds are considerred just as good or better than contemporary Gibsons as well (though this may be mostly in retrospect). For one thing none of them had orange peel finish issues.

·
Registered
12,366 Posts
It's not wrong to have a sentimental attachment to older things, or to "the underdog", or to things that are idiosyncratic.
funny, cause my little sister had a particular attachment to a spoon when i was a kid. among the flatware in our drawer, one spoon was not like the others. it was very plain, worn looking, and a little bent. one day i noticed my little sister seemed to prefer using it. i asked her why, because my kid-mind assumed she had some reason to think this spoon somehow performed better than the others.
her answer was "this is the ugliest one in the drawer, and nobody wants to use it. i didn't want it to feel lonely."

·
Registered
15,199 Posts
When it comes to gear---if you like it--it's good...

·
Registered
23 Posts
funny, cause my little sister had a particular attachment to a spoon when i was a kid. among the flatware in our drawer, one spoon was not like the others. it was very plain, worn looking, and a little bent. one day i noticed my little sister seemed to prefer using it. i asked her why, because my kid-mind assumed she had some reason to think this spoon somehow performed better than the others.
her answer was "this is the ugliest one in the drawer, and nobody wants to use it. i didn't want it to feel lonely."
Now that is a child's empathy. Beautiful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts