The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suddenly my computer monitor is not displaying an image but it's on. if I restart my computer or unhook the cable it briefly shows a picture then flickers a little and the screen goes black. I tried a different PC and a different cable. Same thing.

What's wrong?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
K. So many options. Any recommendations on brands that are good? Current one is a 22" Acer and I was fine with it, but might as well go 27" which is about all the space I have between my speakers.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
I only buy LG monitors myself. I always have to give them away if I want a new monitor. My last one that I'm using now is a 24". My next one will be a 27". One thing to watch for is that the cable is HDMI if your PC is HDMI. Your so lucky that you can now get a bigger monitor. (Just trying to be positive):)

·
Premium Member
4,506 Posts
I'm partial to Samsung's gear. You should try to match the monitor's resolution to your graphic's card max resolution or a bit lower. If you go with too big of a monitor with high resolution, your graphics card might have trouble driving the pixels.

·
Registered
10,513 Posts
I only buy LG monitors myself. I always have to give them away if I want a new monitor. My last one that I'm using now is a 24". My next one will be a 27". One thing to watch for is that the cable is HDMI if your PC is HDMI. Your so lucky that you can now get a bigger monitor. (Just trying to be positive):)
The only monitor that has died on me was an LG.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
My at least five years old screen is a CHIMEI, CMV221D... Could say, no name, though, but it came as part of a PC kit bought from a local little PC store (a head tech owner and two employees !) where they use to build high performance for the price PCs kits. This one was their multimedia biggest model at the time : I bought the biggest because we know how a big PC soon becomes a little PC...

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
I just bought a re-furb off walmart for under $50 after shipping. It is NOT widescreen which is exactly what I was looking for. :)

·
Registered
345 Posts
How do I find my graphic's card's max resolution?

Especially as I have no way to use my computer with no monitor.
Need to know the make and model of your standalone graphics card. Still got the box or the manual?

If your card is an AMD and the model number starts with the prefix "HD", your card should be able to do 1920x1080.

If you use onboard graphics, then the make and model of the motherboard will be needed to look for the specs.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
BenQ

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I’ve been buying the 24” Dell Ultrasharps for work for the past 10 years. Never had a problem. They come on sale a few times a year.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
If your old monitor was 1080p or 1920 x 1080 you should be good to go with most current 1080p. Yeah, approaching 200 bucks would be a decent deal. If your old monitor was 1680 X 1050, better check your graphics specs if its an older unit.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
I am thinking about getting a monitor for my laptop and hooking it up via HDMI cable. This time, it will be a TV. The quality is good and you can get a better deal on a TV than you can a monitor and it will be larger. I can't see the downside if there is one.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts