The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought an M-track M-audio a few years back...

I wanted to be able to plug my guitar into the computer. Well, that's a total disaster. I gave up on that!

But, the stupid thing barely works for any sound at all.
Its totally intermittent. Sometimes it works, sometimes, not at all.
Most of the time, to get it to work, I twist the volume back and forth, then it might work.
It sucks as we can't even watch Youtube videos.
I'm pretty bad at computer stuff and was very disappointed this stupid POS does not do what its supposed to do.
My computer is 5-7 years old and I did the Windows 10 upgrade.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Are there drivers or software to install, for w10 on the m audio website?

Also check your audio devices in windows and make sure it is set as the default

Thats about as much help as I can offer!

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Sounds like the volume pot is broken. M-audio stuff is plug and play for use with the OS internal sound, you only need to install the driver if you want to make low latency recordings. If it's USB try replacing the cable, you can safely disconnect and reconnect it while the computer is working, that would reset the interface and its connection to Windows. W10 is so far the best Windows OS to handle audio.

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
I have a computer about the same age or slightly newer. Every once in a while a Win 10 update comes out that stops my headphone jack from working, so I have to roll it back. So, it may be Windows and them having no support for legacy drivers that is the problem. I think they are in cahoots with manufacturers to get people to buy new computers.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I don't know anything about your device there, but I know I had to play musical USB port with my audio interface. For some reason some of the ports on the back of the pc would introduce weird noises or delays, or cut audio.. I tried a few different ports before I found one that worked perfectly. I don't know what the reasoning is, my PC is fairly high end and new, and those usb ports work just fine for literally everything else.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should mention, it did this before I installed Windows 10. I have tried different USB cables. The pot is fine, as its pretty much a new unit. Once it starts working, it works well. I have KRK Rockit 5 speakers and the sound is awesome.

·
Premium Member
8,703 Posts
'intermittent' to me says 'bad cable'. Wiggle your connectors and see if you can isolate the bad actor. Could even be a jack, just like guitar and amp jacks need cleaning occasionally.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its not a bad cable. It fixes when I spin the volume back and forth. Its some kind of weird glitch.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
hmm. well you could email M audio & ask them about it?

maybe there is a firmware update or something

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
So I'm guessing you did the right click on the speaker icon bottom right > playback devices > default device > check configure and properties and test the device.

Also as others have said. Check M-Audio for updates.
M-Audio

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
hmm. well you could email M audio & ask them about it?

maybe there is a firmware update or something
Yes, it sounds like something is not right with the hardware. I have an old M-audio that stopped working with windows 8, now it works again on windows 10, probably better than with windows 7. M-audio used to be solid under Avid management but it was sold a few years ago and I don't know how reliable they are now. Give them a call OP

1 - 12 of 12 Posts