The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you don't like details, this thread is unlikely to be for you. If you relish them, carry on ...

I recently had what was a new weird experience for me. As background, I am an amateur, primarily basement player. Tried not to become a collector, but failed -- very lucky to have really nice gear, will need a decade of New Year Resolutions to simplify my collection (better start soon). Also, I am a relative newcomer to high gain sound that actually sounds good -- I didn't have enough skill to make it work in the past at all, even though I love heavy stuff amongst almost every other music style, but I seem to be finally discovering how to make it work now.

My gear sounds nice individually. Sometimes better than other times. Sometimes really quite awesome (I am looking at you, the Marshall 50th Anniversary 1W amps :)), sometimes sadly disappointing. But here is what recently happened ... the following completely unintentional and accidentally-occurring setup resulted in unbelievably awesome tone. If I vary anything below, it is still really good (plus or minus), but with this exact setup, it is really simply magical in my playing environment:
  • GUITAR: AmStd Strat, non-stock all Lace Sensor pickups pickguard, on Lace Red bridge pickup, tone rolled off a little over 1/2 way, volume full; this guitar wasn't likely going anywhere, great all around, but if I could take only one from a burning house, this would not be it; but now ...
  • AMP: Mojave Coyote head, very specific set of control settings; this head has fairly unconventional controls; it's not hard to make it sound very very good, but these settings for this specific signal chain ... I don't even want to breathe around the controls in case I change something from this amazing sound ...
  • SPEAKERS/CAB: pair of 12" Alnico Golds in a custom pine open back 2x12 cabinet, somewhat close to a back wall; everyone says Alnico Golds are one of the best speakers around and they are definitely great, but in my environment (relatively small space), I was likely not doing them justice; have been thinking of selling them for a while because I don't play stadiums, but now ...
  • 1st PEDAL: Van Weelden Royal Overdrive with very very specific settings; everyone says this is the ultimate Dumble-in-a-Box and I definitely had decent results with it, but it didn't look like it was going to stick around forever; but now ...
  • 2nd PEDAL: Source Audio Programmable EQ with a pretty unconventional frequency shaping setting left over from prior owner that I just never changed; not going anywhere regardless
  • 3rd PEDAL: Dispatch Master Reverb, delay off, mix half way, reverb 1/3 of the way; not going anywhere regardless
  • MISC: good quality and relatively short cabling throughout; there are a couple of bypassed pedals in front of the RO (tuner, another dirt pedal) and after the DM (another EQ, another reverb), I don't think they affect the sound when bypassed
Again, if I change anything (particularly guitars/pickups, but I just simply haven't dared to change the Coyote or the Royal Overdrive settings for a couple of weeks now), it still sounds great, but the magic fades.

Anyone else have such completely unexpected and sudden experiences?

P.S. Besides the genuine interest in such unexpected results for others, this thread is my way to archiving this setup -- I don't know if I have another place that will have all this info in one place like that for posterity. Here are the settings pics:

P.P.S. I tried recording the magic, but it turns out iPhone direct recording doesn't even come close to reproducing what I hear. I am working on even more gear to help that situation, LOL ...

·
Registered
275 Posts
It happens for many of us I think. Sometimes we are just trying different things out and accidentally come across an incredibly good tone that we have never been able to achieve before. Years ago when I was a young man, I wired up an old home stereo pyramid graphic equalizer so that I could run my pedals through it and then to my Ampeg V2 head...wow. I had never used an equalizer before and it shaped the tone like nothing I had heard before. It was ridiculously big of course but I was just fooling around at home so it didn't really matter. Made me feel like a rock star...lol. We all have different ears when it comes to sonic greatness but it is so satisfying when you can try something different and have it turn out so good. love the pics of your gear.

Reactions: LexxM3

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
As said, we all have “moments of clarity” when we discover a great new tone.
Glad to hear you’re happy with your setup.

I’d like to suggest, just in case you’re open to suggestions, that you relocate your EQ pedal so it’s last in the chain, just before the front end of the amp.

Lots of pedals will alter your EQ and I find it helpful to just let them do what they want to do (within reason) and then make corrections at the end. ‭

Reactions: LexxM3
1 - 4 of 4 Posts