The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently tried the updated fender hotrod deluxe iv. A bit to my surprise I really enjoyed the big clean sound, and the sound spectrum it gives a guitar to occupy.

I currently own a 65amps London pro. It does what it’s suppose to really well, and is top notch quality.
It’s my 2nd el84 amp and I think I’m realizing I like the headroom and pedal approach. Though this 18watter sounds far bigger then any other 15-20watt el84 amp I’ve played, it doesn’t quite have the same range as I got in the hrd.

I’m having a hard time thinking of “down grading” quality wise to the sound I still hear in my head even after playing my London pro and feeling a bit dissapointed.

Brings me to, what else should I look into for that big 6l6 sound? Or just embrace the hrd?
I find that drri’s don’t have the same big bottle feel, as well as they seem to be a bit too thin and bright in comparison.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The Hotrod Deluxe has a reputation for having a volume dial that acts more like a toggle switch. If you have an environment where volume isn't an issue, consider it. Otherwise, you're looking at an attenuator, which adds cost, and does monkey with the sound a bit.

I'd say cboutilier's suggestions are on the money. If you are selling the London Pro, and ready to add some money and stay boutique, I couldn't be more satisfied with my Tone King Sky King. It'll do everything you mentioned: two 6L6, has dual attenuation (clean and lead channels), cathode-biased tremolo, gain-compensated reverb in the lead channel, pentode and ultra linear architecture, and has that 3D quality that's hard to un-hear. It's designed for the type of person who wants a "do-it-all" that can pull off 6V6 and 6L6 sounds in one box. Not heavy, either.

·
Registered
10,046 Posts
If the Hot Rod is what you like, go for it.

I'd also strongly agree with looking for a Silverface Pro or Twin. Silverface Super Reverbs are great too, but I don't really think that's what you're looking for. SF Super Reverbs (to my ears) are more big clang than big bottom.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
If the Hot Rod is what you like, go for it.

I'd also strongly agree with looking for a Silverface Pro or Twin. Silverface Super Reverbs are great too, but I don't really think that's what you're looking for. SF Super Reverbs (to my ears) are more big clang than big bottom.
Throw a 15 into a Super Reverb and talk about big bottom. I played all night Saturday with my bass knob on zero (accidentally) and didn't notice until hours later. With my Esquire I usually can't turn the bass up higher than 3.

·
Registered
10,046 Posts
Throw a 15 into a Super Reverb and talk about big bottom. I played all night Saturday with my bass knob on zero (accidentally) and didn't notice until hours later. With my Esquire I usually can't turn the bass up higher than 3.
You'd have to replace the whole baffle though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts