The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else do major commuting to work ?? Since the last place I worked at closed down I had to find new employment a few years ago. At my point in life I was not looking forward to having to move. Ended up finding a job in Peterborough and when I compared real estate prices I decided it would be cheaper in the long run to commute. My daily commute round trip is about 210 Km a day. Who else is a long commuter ????

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Probably not a long commute by some standards, but I travel about 100 kms each day. It's not too bad though, cause I car pool and that takes a lot of the strain off the travel. I just have to remember not to nap when it's my turn to drive!:zzz: :eek:

·
Registered
306 Posts
West Edmonton to Fort Saskatchewan

Mine is about 140 km round trip...depending upon weather and the time of day this can vary from about 40 minutes in the morning and 50 minutes in the evening all the way up to a couple of hours one-way. I decided I would rather live where we do stuff as a family during evenings and weekends, rather than driving all over the place in pursuit of recreation. If I wasn't so danged committed to my current employer I could easily find work closer to home.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Well,
My GF (we are engaged) lives 140 km from my house. We are getting married and I plan to move to her town (I am already there at least 3 times a week and weekends). My shop & business is not mobile, and I really am established here. So, I plan to commute 4 days a week ( we are keeping my house as well as hers, so if I need to I can stay overnight without issue).

Its not that bad, I get up at 6am, leave by 6:30 and am at work for 8am. No traffic on the Northern highways generally and even in the winter things are OK.

The worst part is fuel, my expedition costs me near $50 a day but I started using her subaru which is $20 per round trip (280km).

I know people who have been doing the same commute for 15 years to work in the big mine/mill where she is.

The only thing that I have to watch is the moose in the summer. They are deadly.

AJC

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well for me I gotta keep an eye out for deer, other than that it is a straight forward drive, no lights until I reach Peterborough. My decision to commute was also influenced by my family and how there are happy living where we are. I drive a Neon and it ranges from 12-15 dollars for round trip depending on pump prices....

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...when i was out of work in '02, i swore that i would never again commute more than thirty minutes.

escaping a brutal commute is akin to getting your life back.

-dh

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have a commute of about 20 feet and thank my lucky stars nearly every day that I get to work at home. :banana:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Amen, David...two to three hours stuck in a vehicle each day is not much fun. I know I had more hours in the day when I had only a 15 minute commute. I try to compensate lately by passing the time with intense music appreciation sessions. The only real danger is there are times when I'm pulling into the driveway at home and I'm not certain how I got there.

·
Registered
208 Posts
ajcoholic said:
The only thing that I have to watch is the moose in the summer. They are deadly.

AJC
Amen, brother. However, the moose I know don't seem to distinguish the seasons. Nothing more freaky than cresting a hill and finding one, down on his knees, licking ice-melting salt off the road, arse in the air, spring-loaded to go, and no escape route. They took to using lithium chloride (once used for manic depression) on Alberta Hwy 40 to keep caribou from licking the salt, but all they got was a bunch of really mellow caribou, who were disinclined to sidestep hurtling logging trucks, sometimes with nasty results. Drive slowly! The Alaska Highway Speedbump of which ajcoholic speaks can really ruin one's day....forever; although a deer or a bear or even a dumb ass coyote can ruin your car, or worse. I lost a six-ply radial to a porcupine. I've seen deer become unwelcome front seat passengers, and ones that kick!

I get to be king of commuters in this thread. I routinely drive as much as 1400 km to work as a wellsite consultant. Admittedly, I stay there for a while before repeating the perfomance, and I try to do it in daylight as much as possible.

Presently I'm a mere 151 km from my home, gaw-leee! Nice view of the mountains from my office trailer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts