The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and see what's on the slab!

After an experiment with a tube amp over the past six months or so, I have come to the conclusion that the Vox Tonelab I was using was simply more suitable for me.

I picked up the latest model (Tonelab LE) which has a few less bells and whistles than the SE, but has a higher resolution (24 bit vs 20). It also has a few new effects and more eqing options.

After an hour of programming I know it was the right choice for me. The sounds are HUGE.

·
Premium Member
16,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have tried them all, so this one tops them? I ended up getting a GNX a while back. It's been prety cool for noodling around. This Vox unit is not cheap, I assume?
I had a Vox Tonelab SE, gigged with it for about a year (direct to PA) and recorded a album with it. I decided to try a tube amp to see what all the fuss was about and now know that a good modeler is more suitable for me personally.

I have tried the Line 6 xtLive as well as the GNX3K (I actually took that one home) but yes to my ears as well as in terms of programming and intuitive design the Vox is miles above the rest.

This model has a few less bells and whistles than the SE but it sounds a bit cleaner and I like the smaller size.

Price isn't bad at all ($499. CAD) considering what it can replace.

My set up will be faster. The FOH sound will be better (and full stereo) and I can carry it in a backpack.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi Milkman, I'm curious to know if you own multiple floor modelers and if so, do you use specific modelers for certain applications? I picked up a GNX3K last year , which I connect it to the front of a Crate Powerblock that is paired with a Marshall 1936 2x12 cab. The sounds I can get with the amp models are pretty sweet, though I would just like to know what sort of reasons would there be to owning more than one floor modeler and your experience with them. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
16,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Milkman, I'm curious to know if you own multiple floor modelers and if so, do you use specific modelers for certain applications? I picked up a GNX3K last year , which I connect it to the front of a Crate Powerblock that is paired with a Marshall 1936 2x12 cab. The sounds I can get with the amp models are pretty sweet, though I would just like to know what sort of reasons would there be to owning more than one floor modeler and your experience with them. Thanks!
Hey Man,

I only own one, but I have owned a Tonelab SE, Digitech GNX3K and now this Tonelab LE.

I think the only reason I would have to own more than one is if I was doing a lot of home recording. The GNX3K is more suited to that application. Also I'd say the GNX3K has better "over the top" patches abd heavy metal tones.

The Tonelabs can do those sounds but really shine doing mildly to heavily overdriven and clean tones.

For my purposes the Tonelab is the best without any doubt.

The only well known modeler I haven't owned is the Line 6 XTLive. I know lots of people swear by them so it's a personal taste thing, but obviously there's a reason that I have owned several other makes and models and not this one.

·
Premium Member
16,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update.

I used the Tonelab LE for a gig on Saturday night.

Beautiful! The sounds translated very effectively from the headphones to the mains. That's not always the case. I tried a competitors flagship modeler a few months ago and the sounds I heard in the cans were DRAMATICALLY different through the monitors (that one never made it to the stage).

The LE was smooth and sounded great through the PA. The stereo effects were very powerful (PA is stereo as well).

I stuck to about five basic patches and a few specialized ones, but I'll now delve more deeply into the capabilities of this unit.

Big thumbs up from me.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Hey Man,

I only own one, but I have owned a Tonelab SE, Digitech GNX3K and now this Tonelab LE.

I think the only reason I would have to own more than one is if I was doing a lot of home recording. The GNX3K is more suited to that application. Also I'd say the GNX3K has better "over the top" patches abd heavy metal tones.

The Tonelabs can do those sounds but really shine doing mildly to heavily overdriven and clean tones.

For my purposes the Tonelab is the best without any doubt.

The only well known modeler I haven't owned is the Line 6 XTLive. I know lots of people swear by them so it's a personal taste thing, but obviously there's a reason that I have owned several other makes and models and not this one.
I really like the simplicity of the controls on the Tonelabs. I really need to try one of these out some day.

The Digitech GNX's are quite involved and so many guys give up on them which is too bad because they are amazing. I have and love the GNX4 but making quick adjustments in a live situation is not as simple as the Tonelab looks to be!

GC, did you get the GNX3K?

·
Premium Member
16,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really like the simplicity of the controls on the Tonelabs. I really need to try one of these out some day.

The Digitech GNX's are quite involved and so many guys give up on them which is too bad because they are amazing. I have and love the GNX4 but making quick adjustments in a live situation is not as simple as the Tonelab looks to be!

GC, did you get the GNX3K?

I had a GNX3K for about a week. I really had no issues with programming it. I was able to get a couple of banks of patches dialed in with basic sounds I would use.

Sounds were REALLY good.

Took it to rehearsal.

The sounds I got going direct were harsh, ratty and just a lot different than with headphones. I tried to dial it in through a couple of rehearsals and wasn't happy with the soiunds. It wasn't terrible or anything but I knew I wouldn't be happy so I bailed.

Also I was a little disapointed that I couldn't use the built in XLRs to go to the snake (Digitech warns you not to use phantom power if you use their XLR outs and I NEED my phantom power on..

Then I did about six months with a nice little Traynor YCV40 and the matching closed back 1 X 12 along with some nice pedals. I was never thrilled with sound again and missed the stereo sounds (PA is stereo).

The Lab is really a great mix of old sounds and new technology.

For a guy like me who doesn't use a ton of effects it might seem like overkill but the flexibility is apealing and the sound is really consistant..

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
where did you get it man? I can only find these things online...no music store near me stocks them ugh! I want one terribly badly though! Been gassing for one for over a month !

·
Premium Member
16,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The local shop had one. I grabbed it.

I din't realize that they were in demand. They'll cool off soon enough.

:rockon2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts