The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a minty Collings SJ for a decent used price (asking $3500 cad/$2600 usd) on Kijiji (like Craig's list). I already have two steel string acoustics, a Breedlove Masterclass C25 om and a Bertoncini 000. The Bertoncini sounds a little more balanced than the Breedlove with a little more bass. It has a more mellow tone that I like but trebles still sparkle and the sustain is great. Both guitars are nice but the Bertoncini has a little better tone imho. I play fingerstyle as I am mostly a classical guitar guy.

The Collings is 100 miles away so I can't get to hear it until next weekend but I was wondering how it might compare to the Bertoncini. I know that there aren't a lot of the Bertoncini guitars around so it might be hard to get someone elses opinion on a comparison.

How does the Breedlove masterclass guitars with Myrtle wood back and sides compare to the Collings? I hear the fit and finish may be better on the Collings but both of my current guitars look great to me so that isn't that big a point. But the Collings in Maple with the Cedar top sure looks pretty in the pictures. Darn GAS.

So are Collings a lot clearer and balanced than a Breedlove Masterclass Northwest classic C25? Do they project a lot more? Better action (which can be adjusted anyways)?
It probably plays a little louder as it is larger than my other two guitars. If the difference is slightly better I guess it would probably be a sideways move compared to the Bertoncini.

It's a tough decision. $3500 buys a lot of guitar strings.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I will check it out this weekend. Hopefully I won't get mugged. The seller seems to know his guitars, though, so he seems pretty legit.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I played my Bertoncini 000 and Breedlove C-25 Northwest Classic guitars for a while before the day I was going to check out the Collings and I decided not to go. I like what I have so why am I gassing over the Collings? I am sure it is a great guitar but the two that I have sound good for fingerstyle, play well and look nice too. It sure is hard to resist the urge, though.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
I have never played a Collings but over on the AGF, they appear to be the cat's meow. (Seeing your avatar, you should know what that means:).)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I am still thinking about it. But I just spent $3500 on a new metal roof and $1000 for new glasses so I am kind of tapped out. I spent the money in an attempt to resist the urge to buy the Collings (plus I needed the roof and glasses). It doesn't seem to have worked. It's like cat scratch fever.lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts