The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im presently wanting to go to Berklee in Boston (United States), but I want to know my options for Canada. I cant seem to find much on Canadian colleges. I want to the most famous or best couple music schools in Canada, to look into aswell. What are the "big" and known ones for being great schools in Canada? Any recomendations would be good.

Also, I haven't looked into the costs yet, I heard from someone that college/university is cheaper in Canada by far? is this true, that in the US its way more expensive? thanks

G

·
Yes, it's considerably cheaper to go to school in Canada. In the US you're a foreign student so you pay full fare -- no gov't subsidies for you there.

Check:

Humber College's jazz program
U of T's Classical music program

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
If I remember correctly you can do a year or two at Humbar College or Grant McEwan College and then transfer that year to Berklee. Other places would have that too. Try Concordia also. Most universities focus on classical and their jazz programs get a bit shafted within the departments, so if you're only interested in jazz then look at the colleges too.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sweet thanks, I checked out some of these places, and they just arent as impressive as Berklee. Can someone give me an estimate of what it would cost to go to these colleges/universities, because I can find any numbers anywhere. I want to so how much more expensive the american universities are. thanks

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have a friend @ Humber College... she's a jazz vocalist, and she loves it. I would guess that canadian universities & colleges would be approximately 3k-4k per term.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, now im scared. To go to Humber it would cost 4 K.... and to go to berklee it would be 23 K (according to wikipedia, and thats probably the estimate for domestic students). Anybody have any idea what U of T would cost?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Why don't you actually check on the website of each of the schools? On the Berklee website there's a nice PDF that lays out all of the costs. It says 25k per year for fees for international students and estimates another 20k for living expenses. On Humber's website on the page for the Bachelor of Applied Music degree it says "The 2006.2007 fee for this program was - domestic $4,985.74 per two semesters." Go to the UofT website and find their fees page.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
WOWWAWEWA!!! I dont understand how Berklee could be so expensive... jesus

Im having a tough time finding these tuition fees... cant find the U of T one

G

·
Devon8822 said:

Fees for the Music Faculty for Fall '06/Winter '07 semesters at U of T are here. $7024.22 (I like how they have it to the cent...hilarious). That doesn't include incidentals like books and stuff. Plan for at least another $2k in materials. I think I paid about $8k for residence (New College) my first year at U of T (way back in '96). It included meals (which were awful). It cost me a more than that to rent with friends and still live near campus (about $12k/year). But that's because we stayed proximate to the University and ate (and drank) well. :tongue:

All notable schools in the US are expensive. They have: a) a massive demand that far out strips the supply so they can charge more or less what they like; and b) far less government subsidisation (actually it's pretty much zero subsidisation for foreign students). It also doesn't help that it's in Boston which is a very expensive place to live. This is not so different from Canada. If you're a foreign student in Canada you're paying $20k+/year to go to school too here. No point in Canadian tax payers subsidising foreign educations.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Most communities have excellent guitar teachers. You can hold down a day job, take a class or two a week, and spend the rest of the time practising.

·
Premium Member
11,418 Posts
Seems to me that a call to the local school board or high school guidance department might get you started. That's where my kids have gone for the information about availability, cost, prerequisites, etc..

Peace, Mooh.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks, guys this wis helping me a ton, Im gunna show the old man tonight what I have learnt:eek:

My guidance department is ussless as they ussually are, I prefer doing this on my own anyways.

·
Premium Member
13,289 Posts
Devon8822 said:

It's private. I imagined they get tax breaks if they are non-profit, but you must remember that Ontario Colleges and Universities are subsidized. I know in the past it was up to the tune of 80%, might be lower now due to the years under the vile, evil Harris regime and the little done by the liberals to undo it, but lets say you multiply the Humber tuition by 5, you get the Berklee tuition.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Can someone help me out with a couple me questions?
Can you transfer from U of T or Mcgill after a year or 2, to Berklee? or is that just for some places?

G

·
Can someone help me out with a couple me questions?
Can you transfer from U of T or Mcgill after a year or 2, to Berklee? or is that just for some places?
You can always transfer. Whether they honour any of your courses is another question. You should call Berkelee and ask. My guess if very few course credits will transfer because it's across country boundaries and schools get weird about "education standards" and such.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts