The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up this new Les Paul, '58 RI, 8.7 lbs, killer neck carve measuring 0.89" - 0.98" at 1st and 12th frets which is surprising as it feels like a smaller neck and proves it's all about the carve and no big shoulders. The playability is outstanding - sometimes LP's can feel like playing a log but the neck on the Ralphs is smooth and fast.

Custom bucker pickups - beidge pickup sounds great, neck pickup is a bit on the dark side. After playing the guitar for a while, the thought of getting OX4's crossed my mind, but, found some great sweet spots when rolling off the volume knob on the neck pup. Treble pup on 9 and bass pup on 6 (middle position), stellar tone. The neck pup on it's own sounds really good with volume rolled off.

All and all, great guitar with superb vibe - it is a fun guitar to play.

RE: CITES

I bought this guitar from a dealer in the U.K. 42 days ago. The time to acquire the CITES permit took 15 days, sat in customs for an eternity especially in Canada.

The toggle switch tip was completely smashed but remarkably nothing else appears damaged. Glad the dealer double boxed the shipment!

IMG_8826.JPG
IMG_8827.JPG
IMG_8829.JPG
IMG_8833.JPG
IMG_8830.JPG

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Ooooh, doggies. That is a killer looking guitar. I just got my first CC a couple of months ago, but not quite as sexy as yours though. Congrats!

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
Beauty!

I keep having GAS attacks for Les Pauls, even though I’ve had five of them in different variations. Maybe I haven’t found the right one yet? :D

·
Premium Member
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Beauty!

I keep having GAS attacks for Les Pauls, even though I’ve had five of them in different variations. Maybe I haven’t found the right one yet? :D
I went through a bunch and had given up on Les Paul's until I played a Collectors Choice at a shop. It was the Montrose CC and it took me for a loop. I owned that guitar for a couple years and it was superb. The CC"s are fairly consistent and you"re getting a decent guitar from the start. Don"t give up yet!

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
that is a stunner!

congratulations!

ps this highlights why it's always a good idea to remove switch tips when shipping gtrs..well at least LP's

Reactions: Alex

·
Premium Member
11,842 Posts
I went through a bunch and had given up on Les Paul's until I played a Collectors Choice at a shop. It was the Montrose CC and it took me for a loop. I owned that guitar for a couple years and it was superb. The CC"s are fairly consistent and you"re getting a decent guitar from the start. Don"t give up yet!
I get that. I played a Clapton/Beano R0 6 or 7 years ago. The best LP I've ever played, include the two I own. It was just on another level.

Alas, I thought mid 4's was a lot of money for a guitar - in retrospect, it was a pretty good deal (I'm sure that guitar is 2k more now). I've never forgot about it.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Looking back at the original post and pics and I have to say, i think the back looks as good as the front. Love that dark mahogany

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Custom Buckers are awesome. I don't know how much variation there is, but mine are beautiful. They know how to make a small tube amp do wonderful things at 'reasonable' volumes. Much nicer than my SD59s and Imperials I have in other guitars.

Just the tip eh? lol. Coulda been worse. Beautiful guitar. No, strike that, SUPER beautiful. If its like my Standard Historic R8 (Im sure its better...), it will be a dream to play!

C

1 - 20 of 22 Posts