The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
First I ever heard tell of Colin was this. IIRC he closed the Super Dave Osborne Show with VooDoo Thing. Yes, Super Dave.

First time I caught him live was in 1991 at the Kingswood Music Theater opening up for B.B. King. A few years later headling at the Spectrum in Montreal (IIRC that was Kat Dyson on rhythm). Here’s a clip from that show that I found just now. This is why Colin James & YouTube kick ass.

P.S. If you look closely, you can see a much younger & thinner me in the crowd shot during the solo.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
“White Strats everywhere! White Strats for everybody!”

I heard it! I’ll take mine with a rosewood board thank you Colin James!

A fun show that included Roxanne Potvin opening - nice surprise.

·
Premium Member
16,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was a great show. I'm a big fan of his older stuff so the last half of the show was outstanding for me. Nothing at all wrong with the new stuff and i need to give it some listening time.

I personally found his tone a tad harsh on the upper end. That's not something I've noticed before and I've seen him many many times. A minor quibble but it's what I heard :) My wife didn't notice but then she's already lost some of her upper registry hearing, maybe Colin has too.

·
Premium Member
6,178 Posts
It was a great show. I'm a big fan of his older stuff so the last half of the show was outstanding for me. Nothing at all wrong with the new stuff and i need to give it some listening time.

I personally found his tone a tad harsh on the upper end. That's not something I've noticed before and I've seen him many many times. A minor quibble but it's what I heard :) My wife didn't notice but then she's already lost some of her upper registry hearing, maybe Colin has too.
I didn't notice that tone in his show last year. I caught the tour to support his blues cover album

·
Premium Member
16,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As I say it's the first time in over 30 years I've heard it and I've seen him in everything from small clubs to stadiums, LOL. Not sure if it was amp related. He was using a Matchless, Divided by 13, and what i think was a JCM 800. I don't recall seeing either the Matchless or /13 before but can't say for sure.

·
Premium Member
6,178 Posts
As I say it's the first time in over 30 years I've heard it and I've seen him in everything from small clubs to stadiums, LOL. Not sure if it was amp related. He was using a Matchless, Divided by 13, and what i think was a JCM 800. I don't recall seeing either the Matchless or /13 before but can't say for sure.
That was his rig when I saw him too, plus 3-4 BF Super Reverbs that Chris was presumably using. I have a bunch of pictures of his setup that I've yet to upload.

·
Premium Member
16,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That was his rig when I saw him too, plus 3-4 BF Super Reverbs that Chris was presumably using. I have a bunch of pictures of his setup that I've yet to upload.
Hmm, looked to me like Chris was using something like a pair of Tweed Bassman 4x10's and a small Supro. Actually here's a pic of Colin sitting on the Supro.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Those Supros are super nice sounding amps. London Guitars has them and I can’t imagine anyone being dissapointed with the tone from them for clean and classic rock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts