The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever done it? Does this sound like solid advice?

"Epoxy. Some recommend marine grade because it's shinier, though I've heard it's not as strong.
Tape up the sides of the neck so you don't get any epoxy on there.
mix up the epoxy for a good few minutes.
Spread it on the fretboard.
Let it cure overnight to 24 hours.
sand it down with 100, 320, 400, 600, 800, and 1600 grit sandpaper, then polish it with a buffer to get a brilliant shiny coating."

What kind of epoxy would work the best?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have not looked for that specifically, but give a try at www.mimf.com and go to the forum. Post your question there, I always had some good response from these people...

·
Registered
10 Posts
The story is that Jaco popped the frets with a butter knife, filled the kerfs with bondo and coated the fretless board with West Systems marine epoxy.
Lee Valley used to stock it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
james on bass said:
Anyone ever done it? Does this sound like solid advice?

"Epoxy. Some recommend marine grade because it's shinier, though I've heard it's not as strong.
Tape up the sides of the neck so you don't get any epoxy on there.
mix up the epoxy for a good few minutes.
Spread it on the fretboard.
Let it cure overnight to 24 hours.
sand it down with 100, 320, 400, 600, 800, and 1600 grit sandpaper, then polish it with a buffer to get a brilliant shiny coating."

What kind of epoxy would work the best?
yes i've done it and i reccomend it.

you have to do a few coats though , not just one , otherwise when it's time to sand there will be no room for over sanding [mistakes] plus it will last longer.

i did not buff mine , but i do have experience buffing ,
tools needed are a power drill , a buffing wheel and some rouge
do not keep the wheel buffing statically move it around so it doesnt melt your epoxy.

if you're worried you can do a practice run on a scrap piece of wood instead to get a feel for the process

good luck

·
Registered
97 Posts
BP magazine just did an article about this. dan, the luthier uses a super glue process and it looks slick. give it a read. regards, al.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts