The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I was wondering if anyone has any experience cleaning old saddles on Strats in particular.

I've seen this video:

I don't own a dremel however. If I manage to find a cheap one I'd pick one up eventually, but until then, does anyone want to offer some advice on what to use?

I found this topic hard to look up online, there's lots of information on people cleaning their horse saddles though haha

·
Registered
11,841 Posts
If you find something flat to fit between the grub screws and some sandpaper maybe?

I've used Big Bends Nut Sauce for a while now on the nut slots and saddles, evey string change.
That stuff isn't cheap either, @ $25 a tube, but I like the applicator and it lasts for quite a while.

I've had this tube for a few years and have done many guitars with it, soon time for a new one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
BGood, I have a few clean scotch brite pads, haha I was somewhat thinking of using them but was unsure if they'd scratch the saddles up a bunch. I love using them on the back of satin finished necks when they get grimey.

I use Squirrely's Nut Lube from ebay, it's pretty much the same thing as the Big Bends, except there's two kinds. I think I have the PTFE kind without graphite/carbon? I know mine is clear and has no black residue. I think the black stuff works better but he made the clear stuff for people with OCD lol. Next time I order some I'll try the original (carbon) one. I love that stuff, nut slots, string trees, bridge saddles, and especially the 6 screws which fasten the bridge plate to the Strat body.

What grit sandpaper if I were to use it on the saddles?

Edit: for link
Squirrelys Nut Lube Guitar Nut Lube *NEW* CLEAR NO/C Lubricant. SNL-NOC | eBay

Squirrelys Nut Lube

Second edit: I was curious about the "pick coating" link. I love the guy's nut lube product but I am completely baffled he spends the time dipping 0.72mm picks into plasti-dip. Those things wear away after like, 1 whole hour of playing lol. Not worth the time in my opinion, guess he's never tried delrin or tortex picks?

·
Registered
11,841 Posts
I was thinking that it should be a pretty fine grit.

What about those emory nail filing boards, you should be able to trim it down to size.

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
you'll be fine with scotchbrite, but it doesn't like big burrs. Remove the saddles & set screws, remove the burrs is any , lay the scotchbrite on the table and rub the saddle back and forth on it. You;ll be there forever if you try to do it while on the guitar

1 - 9 of 9 Posts