The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Shame on me I guess. I should have taped off the entire back of the neck or had a more sturdy set up / brace so i didn't have to hold with my grubby hands.

Any thoughts as to how i can clean up this gross unsightly abomination? I tried a bit of warm water and detergent but that warranted no results. I'm thinking possibly steel wool and re-oil the neck? But would be super cool if i didn't have to do that.

馃ぎ馃ぎ馃ぎ

Frets look 1000 times better though so was totally worth the effort.

Premium Member
another vote for Naptha

Reactions: WhiskyJack1977

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so far i have tried the 99% Alcohol and Ronsonol Lighter Fluid. Which, if i understand things correctly is Naptha.

Neither have had any affect. 馃槥

Looking more and more like like i might have to sand this mess out and reapply the gunstock oil. 馃憥
I stand corrected. A little deeper digging leads me to say that the jury is still out on Ronsonol Fluid being any kind of useful Naptha substitute. Might have to go hit up crappy tire or Rona here after work.

Premium Member
Ok so far i have tried the 99% Alcohol and Ronsonol Lighter Fluid. Which, if i understand things correctly is Naptha.

Neither have had any affect. 馃槥

Looking more and more like like i might have to sand this mess out and reapply the gunstock oil. 馃憥
Check the ingredients. I'm pretty sure they changed the formula in Canada to petroleum distillate.

"It appears that currently manufactured Ronsonol is actually Zippo Lighter Fluid, a totally different product than pre 2010 Ronsonol. Although the Zippo people said it contains no naphtha the MSDS states that the new formula contains 30% Hydrotreated Light Naphtha. "

They only way to buy pure Naptha in Canada is Coleman Stove Fuel

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Magic Eraser for the win.
Tried it!!

it was a partial win actually so not a dreadful suggestion. It had more of an affect than the alcohol and ronsonol, but after 45 mins of scrubbing it barely affected the area. It did, kind of do a decent job but it did not remove what it removed easily. It's still got the masking stains. I may try to go at it here later again for another 45 mins after work today and see where that get's me but i figure for that kind of time investment i may as well just sand it out and reoil.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts