The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well like the title says this about clean guitar tone, leave the od's etc out of the picture thing. I had the pleasure of playing with my band mates, a drummer and a bass player at the town Arts Festival this past weekend. It was a good weekend with plenty of local talent. There were three stages around town and various venues were offered at these stages. We played at the main stage and to give a little background we've only been a band officially now for three weeks. We played our set and ever since I started playing a Sheraton I have found I really just like the sound of the guitar through my amp. Just tubes and a little boost or OD once and a while. We pulled off the set and survived.... This said as I watched the rest of the acts over the weekend I noticed in most of the bands the guitar players used there od's/dist etc almost constantly especially in solos. Also over the weekend I had a several people come up to me and comment on how good we sounded and the tone of my guitar. It's nice to kick it up and wail once and a while but it's also nice to pull it off with just the guitar ringing out it's sweet tone ...

·
Registered
788 Posts
I hear ya...just got back from jam night at the bar, used my peavy on the clean channel and boosted leads with an overdrive with gain at zero, sounded great with my strat :food-smiley-004:

·
Premium Member
13,062 Posts
My idea of clean is tele thru a fender twin.

·
Premium Member
16,682 Posts
Personally, I let the song dictate how clean or dirty the solo tone should be.

If it's Long Cool Woman I play it super clean with a bit of slap back.

If it's Mississippi Queen, I put some hair on it.

Pretty simple really.

My idea of clean is similar to Robert 1950's although I would add a Roland JC120 as an option.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I play alot of heavy stuff, but ever now and then, I like to kick it back and play some nice clean tunes through my guitars. I also play alot for my family, at gatherings and stuff. the usual, sitting around a camp fire playing guitar to their requests. Always great fun.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I generally solo with some overdrive on, on some songs I'll get into the distortion zone. But I think too much distortion loses the inherent tone of the guitar. So it's a fine line that has to be watched carefully.

I know what you mean by guys always soloing in the metal zone. Personally I think it's a problem caused by too high a percentage of practice time at home, running full effects to fake a loud tone, and too low a percentage at high volume where you can get speaker breakup. Your ear gets accustomed to that, so when you kick the volume in you have to step back and listen to what you're really sounding like.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...i have been all about distortion for the past thirty-odd years. recently i have been discovering the joy of playing clean or mildly overdriven, and i now can't get enough.

-dh

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ever since I actually read this thread and took it into account that playing clean or wil only a mild distortion, is a much better sound. Just to kick back with and relax. Get that actual tone that your guitar was biult for and see how it provides it ever so gently but still with this...strength. I still play all my heavy downtuned riffs, but in the past couple days I noticed myself playing my acoustics more and I even brought one of my guitars up to an E flat.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good then I'm not alone on this. Clean or slight OD is the way I play anymore. Once and a while a bit of extra growl... but only where it should be for me..

·
Registered
546 Posts
SCREEM said:
I hear ya...just got back from jam night at the bar, used my peavy on the clean channel and boosted leads with an overdrive with gain at zero, sounded great with my strat :food-smiley-004:

Where is Jam knight? In Montreal? What kind of music?

I might watch, if I get comfortable might attempt jamming.

Then you'll all be sorry:smile:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I play clean most of the time. I used to play mostly distorted, but I guess as I've gotten older (and have gotten better gear) I appreciate a clean tone much more. I really love the tone I am getting from my Boogie F-30 halfstack setup, sounds awesome with singles and buckers.... However recently I played an MIA tele into a Boogie Mark I combo and my goodness was it ever thick and wonderfull. Now its got me thinkin/gassing:rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts