The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to learn some finger style guitar and picked up a Classical book CD to practice on my steel string accoustic. After playing for Way longer than I should of....very late for dinner..I have to say I was thrilled how much fun it was.

So picked up a cheaper Yamaha CG101A solid top just to try before I commit to something expensive. It played the best of the guitars in the shop and when a shop guy took it for a spin it was impressive.

Do you have any tips or tricks on how to play or on the set up? I know that a simple string change can work wonders on a guitar but am clueless on Classical...Holding it also is supposed to be a bit different..

Thanks
Bev

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
The Aaron Shearer book has a couple of good pics for how to hold it. The usual way is to put your left foot on a footstool (3 - 6") and have the guitar sit on your left leg. It's really important to sit up straight and even then you can end up with a lot of lower back strain from sitting like this. A lot of classical players have switched to using an A-frame, which has a couple of suction cups to hold to the guitar then just sits on your leg, so you can keep both feet flat on the floor but still have the guitar up at the proper angle. If you have any back problems at all then just get an A-frame and save yourself a lot of pain.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts