The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Can't forget the burned out 60's hipster who's playing jimi hendrix with a dandelion in his hair.

That guys owns the record shop I frequent most :).

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
How about "Disgruntled Washed-Up Musician" salesperson?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Luke98 said:
Edit: I'm 14 and wouldn't play a metallica song in a store. I have my reputation, Y'know?
Nothing wrong with playing a Metallica song...but I do get sick of hearing S&D, MOP, One & Enter Sandman. Kids don't seem to realize they did record other tunes...

I've been seeing less of the crazy metal stuff lately. I saw a 12-year old kid in a shop about a month ago that had us all in tears with Jimi & SRV stuff. At 12 & playing for only a year he was better than I ever hope to be.

As for me, I get pretty uptight in stores so I usually hide in a corner & play unplugged if I play at all. Heck - the drummers could outplay me on guitar most of the time! :eek:

So there's a character for you... "Ashamed hiding in the corner guy!" :D

·
Registered
698 Posts
Metal#J# said:
I understand that this bothers alot of people. But what bothers me is when people assume that there is no skill in playing faster metal type music. And I feel for the kid that gets picked on for doing so:mad:

The most typical guit shop characters I'm familliar with are the 12th fret elitest types who have all learned the latest Guitar One lesson and cant apply it to anything. They just pull them out when shopping for guitars they cant afford!
I agree. It does seem to be a misconception. There's a lot of very talented players in metal. But if you try it and can't pull it off, that's another story. :D But most of these types are kids too, and part of being a kid is trying to show off & be cool. You don't realize until much later in life that you actually looked kinda foolish.

The problem is if you're there a lot, or happen to be a sales person, you usually hear a lot of the same stuff ad nauseum, often played badly. That makes it hard to appreciate it when someone comes in & nails the stuff.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
I'm petrified of playing in a guitar store. I either bring a "designated picker" and busy myself turning knobs and listening, or get one of the staff to play while I do the same...

Then again, I've only had a guitar for less than a year and am not any good at all.

Heck, I can't play in front of anybody, even a friend who's never played.

This from a person who can talk in front of groups, has played sports in front of crowds with no problem, etc.

But guitar? <shudder>

21 - 26 of 26 Posts