The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking around for a Peavey Classic 30 and I'm just wondering if anyone with some experience could suggest what the max I should pay for a used one. I think I can get one for about $450 CDN shipped to my door....Of course then i have to wait and see how much UPS charges for brokerage fees and what CBSA charges for duty and taxes etc....

I'm not quite sure if that is a good price or not.

Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I bought a used one from forum member "Nine" for $350.00. If you're having it shipped $450.00 sounds pretty reasonable but try for $400.00 if you can.

I'm looking around for a Peavey Classic 30 and I'm just wondering if anyone with some experience could suggest what the max I should pay for a used one. I think I can get one for about $450 CDN shipped to my door....Of course then i have to wait and see how much UPS charges for brokerage fees and what CBSA charges for duty and taxes etc....

I'm not quite sure if that is a good price or not.

Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
253 Posts
Do you have a Long & Mcquade in or near surrey?If so,go in and check out the Traynor amps.They have some tube amps that are nicer sounding than the Peavey and you might get one for the same price if they have a used one.They usually have lots of good used gear for sale.

·
Premium Member
5,173 Posts
I love Traynor amps, but the Classic 30 is a fantastic amp too. And I prefer the gain on it to the Traynor YCV40 which is probably the equivelant Traynor amp. Used, both are a great value.

I assume if you are talking about brokerage fees etc., you are thinking of getting one from the States. I'd look around at Craiglist, Kijiji, and forums first for a Canadian seller. I am pretty sure you could find one in Canada for less then $450, and not have to worry about any fees. I see them for sale fairly frequently.

·
Premium Member
16,973 Posts
you can probably find one locally for $400 or so.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent. Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll pass on the US one. I'd rather buy local if I can anyways. :smilie_flagge17:

I see them occasionally on Craigslist but so far, no one has wanted to ship one to me. I'll keep holding out.

If anyone has one for sale...you know who's looking for one.

:food-smiley-004:

·
Premium Member
16,973 Posts
go into vancouver, hit up every guitar store you can - you'll find one.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
$400 located in Ottawa.

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-Peavey-Classic-30-W0QQAdIdZ13835640

Reply to the ad and see if he'll ship it to you.
Already did it. Just waiting for a reply.

Someone had mentioned Traynor Amps...I have a YCV20WR (15 Watt) and I have a love hate relationship with it. I can never seem to get a tone I like out of it. I've changed tubes (liked it at first but that wore off) then I changed the speaker to an Eminence Governor (again, liked it alot! then that wore off). Right now I have a modded Epi Valve Junior Head (I've actually posted pictures on this forum for those interested) that I use an attenuator with and that thing just oooooozes tone. I cannot believe it. Now I understand the whole cranked tube amp obsession!! I probably don't really need a Classic 30 (I'm a basement rocker with no future in the music business....lol!) but I would like a replacement for my Traynor. I just haven't sold it yet because my dad bought it for me a couple of years ago and it has some sentimental value.

I can't even remember where I was going with that...It may come to me later

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Already did it. Just waiting for a reply.

Someone had mentioned Traynor Amps...I have a YCV20WR (15 Watt) and I have a love hate relationship with it. I can never seem to get a tone I like out of it. I've changed tubes (liked it at first but that wore off) then I changed the speaker to an Eminence Governor (again, liked it alot! then that wore off). Right now I have a modded Epi Valve Junior Head (I've actually posted pictures on this forum for those interested) that I use an attenuator with and that thing just oooooozes tone. I cannot believe it. Now I understand the whole cranked tube amp obsession!! I probably don't really need a Classic 30 (I'm a basement rocker with no future in the music business....lol!) but I would like a replacement for my Traynor. I just haven't sold it yet because my dad bought it for me a couple of years ago and it has some sentimental value.

I can't even remember where I was going with that...It may come to me later
A bit off topic, but if you don't mind me asking, where did you get that VJ head? I can only find combos, but they sound weak 'cause of the tiny speaker that they come with, lol. I keep hearing really great things about the head though.

Are you interested in a Classic 30 head or just the combo? I think I saw a head locally a couple days ago when I got my Randall. I'll give 'em a call tomorrow if you are interested in the head.

I

·
0 Posts
Brian Wampler at IndyGuitarist.com has just released a whole ton of mods for the Classic 50. This email literally just landed in my inbox:

There are a TON of videos in this one - about 125mb's worth!

I walk through the circuit thoroughly and discuss how to modify
it and detail what to change to get all these different tones:

-Bogner Ectasy tones
-Marshall JCM800 tones
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe tones
-Fender Deluxe Reverb tones
-Huge headroom for clean tones
-eq/tonality/response changes
-High Gain changes

Make sure you check it out - they sound *SWEET* after the mods!
I've used Brian's pedal mods in the past and they're well documented and work great. I have no doubt his amp mods are top notch (although he's a good marketing machine as well as a modder so take it all with a grain of salt). So if you're looking for an amp that's good to fiddle with a Classic 50 might be a nice choice.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A bit off topic, but if you don't mind me asking, where did you get that VJ head? I can only find combos, but they sound weak 'cause of the tiny speaker that they come with, lol. I keep hearing really great things about the head though.

Are you interested in a Classic 30 head or just the combo? I think I saw a head locally a couple days ago when I got my Randall. I'll give 'em a call tomorrow if you are interested in the head.
I got the VJ head off of Ebay for $99 US. Sounded okay out of the box but was missing something. Decided to try the Bitmo mods. Sounds awesome now. If you can't find a head, buy the combo and convert it to a head if you are kind of handy. Just a thought.

As for the Classic 30 head - sure I could do that. Depends on the price though. Let me know. That would be great.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I scored mine at Steve's in Ottawa, The price of a new VJ head jumped when Epi released their extension cab for it.

At the very least, you can always disconnect the combo's speaker and run it through a cab.

Hey stratin2traynor, what attenuator are you using?

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Weber Mini Mass which I picked up from a forum member. It cuts the high a bit but still sounds fantastic.

·
Premium Member
16,973 Posts
the VJ will be much more of a classic rock machine, the traynors are supposed to be able to do those and more modern tones. the VJ sounds good, but they're not for me - i like the classic rock tones i get from my YCV80 more.

my kustom tube 12 nails those gritty-as-blank classic tones great too

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I got the VJ head off of Ebay for $99 US. Sounded okay out of the box but was missing something. Decided to try the Bitmo mods. Sounds awesome now. If you can't find a head, buy the combo and convert it to a head if you are kind of handy. Just a thought.

As for the Classic 30 head - sure I could do that. Depends on the price though. Let me know. That would be great.
I gave 'em a call today, turns out it was a new one... not used. $529.99, sorry 'bout that. Will keep my eyes open though!

·
Registered
72 Posts
the VJ will be much more of a classic rock machine, the traynors are supposed to be able to do those and more modern tones. the VJ sounds good, but they're not for me - i like the classic rock tones i get from my YCV80 more.

my kustom tube 12 nails those gritty-as-blank classic tones great too
You HAVE only heard the stock VJ though lol. Still, Once I'm finished modding mine, I don't expect it to kick out anything "modern," after all, there's only one 12AX7 in there!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts