The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, new user, first post.

After 3 years sitting in the corner collecting dust I've finally taken the initiative to get my classic 100 all fired up again; new tubes and a couple of fresh fuses. All is good, except the pilot light.

I picked up a two bulbs from the local rat-shack/source; both 6.3V, one 150mA and one 250mA. Neither work.

Having just mined the stock bulb from a box full of crap for comparison, it appears visually to be in perfect working order - no breaks in the filament, no black marks, nothing indicating it's burnt out. Of course, it doesn't work either.

So, unless I've horrible taste in light bulbs, there must be something wrong inside the amp.

Any ideas? Is there another fuse buried deep inside? Or do I just need to pick the right bulb?

If it matters, the only markings on the stock bulb are "44 SB4".

·
Registered
635 Posts
There wouldn't be a fuse for just the bulb. I'm guessing the wiring or connection to the light bulb socket is messed up somehow.

·
Registered
64 Posts
OK, I'll bite ... Classic 100 ... what?

Did Peavey make a Classic 100 - I can't find a schematic for it - thought they only went up to Classic 50?????

Dial me in and I'll try and give you some feedback as to what the problem might be so you can assess whether you want an amp tech to deal with this or just leave it. Having said that it can't be much of a problem at all, but I'll check the schematic to see if there's something funny afoot.

Cheers!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, it's a Peavey. I've had it since the early 90's. I've had no luck finding a schematic either. I can't imagine it to be too much different than a classic 50 aside from the extra tubes and related circuitry.

Thanks for the assistance, it's much appreciated.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well, the 100 watt is a mystery to me, but looking at the 50 schematic (4 - EL84s BTW, so if they made a 100 they didn't just add tubes to get there) is not any help because it does not show the heater wiring (6.3V) where your lamp would be wired in. So, just assume it's a wiring/solder joint issue or you have a funky lamp socket.

DON'T dive into your amp unless you are trained and confident you know you won't fry yourself.

Should be a simple fix on a lab tech's bench - will cost a few bucks to open things up, but if you want it running like new you'll have to decide whether this is worth the money.

All in all, the above wasn't much help I'm afraid!

Cheers!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for trying. :)

I guess I'll crack it open again and go on an exploratory mission. Should I discover the problem I'll report back with my findings.

/cue mission impossible theme

1 - 6 of 6 Posts