The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a letter from "Collectiva Class Action Service" stating that as a resident of Ontario who used UPS between July 24th 2005 to August 27, 2011 and paid "additional" fees upon delivery I'm eligible for a piece of the class action settlement. They claim that I have to do nothing to receive the payout (if/when ordered) as I'm already on record with UPS for having paid the contested fees.

Given how many of us have bitched about the UPS fees on this forum I'm curious if anyone else received this.

·
Premium Member
10,025 Posts
I got one last week. nearly pissed my pants based on the collection agency name on the envelope lol haven't gotten one of those in 20 years lol
will see what happens, ive never been part of a class action suit before.

Reactions: davetcan

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got one last week. nearly pissed my pants based on the collection agency name on the envelope lol
Funny, I had a brief but similar reaction to the name on the envelope as well!

Reactions: davetcan

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
I got one last week. nearly pissed my pants based on the collection agency name on the envelope lol haven't gotten one of those in 20 years lol
My wife 'accidentally' opened mine, I suspect, for this exact reason. Now I know what it feels like to be Rodney Dangerfield.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I hope they give punitive damages. I wonder why they stopped at 2011, and why Ontario only?

I think whatever criminal organization is involved should be jailed.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I just received a letter from "Collectiva Class Action Service" stating that as a resident of Ontario who used UPS between July 24th 2005 to August 27, 2011 and paid "additional" fees upon delivery I'm eligible for a piece of the class action settlement. They claim that I have to do nothing to receive the payout (if/when ordered) as I'm already on record with UPS for having paid the contested fees. Given how many of us have bitched about the UPS fees on this forum I'm curious if anyone else received this.
Damn! I was regularly suffering those fees during that period, but I've moved twice since so the letter has probably been tossed by the current occupants of that house. Without knowing how much I'd get back - if anything, ever - it doesn't seem worth chasing to get my address changed.

Knowing that UPS will (maybe) get punished for its gouging is pretty satisfying though. One of many examples: a U.S. client sent us something very simple (from a customs point of view) via UPS worth about $20, UPS charged us almost $60 in extra fees (on TOP of the shipping paid by the client) to deliver it to us.

·
Premium Member
8,689 Posts
Damn! I was regularly suffering those fees during that period, but I've moved twice since so the letter has probably been tossed by the current occupants of that house. Without knowing how much I'd get back - if anything, ever - it doesn't seem worth chasing to get my address changed.

Knowing that UPS will (maybe) get punished for its gouging is pretty satisfying though. One of many examples: a U.S. client sent us something very simple (from a customs point of view) via UPS worth about $20, UPS charged us almost $60 in extra fees (on TOP of the shipping paid by the client) to deliver it to us.
Usually pretty easy to find the class action online, and contact the administering law firm to join up. Spend 3 minutes on google, or maybe one of the other guys will spill the beans from their letter?

I've been part of a couple, one was something to do with computer parts (monitors? memory? ironically, I forget now). I did get multiple cheques, but they were very small, under $20 for sure.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Usually pretty easy to find the class action online, and contact the administering law firm to join up. Spend 3 minutes on google, or maybe one of the other guys will spill the beans from their letter?

I've been part of a couple, one was something to do with computer parts (monitors? memory? ironically, I forget now). I did get multiple cheques, but they were very small, under $20 for sure.
I got a $20 cheque for memory. This was a few years ago and it was concerning a lawsuit during a period in the mid to late 90's.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Good... hope the court sticks it to them, they deserve it... I despise UPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
meh, those class action suits dont pay jack shit. i dated this girl once who was part of a suit against a manufacturer of a birth control method that lasted 5 yrs, they stuck it in her arm. the suit was for millions and millions of dollars. it won. i saw her check. it was $14.87

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Members of the class will get some free coupons for future UPS shipping fees to be used w/in six months and the law firm will pocket a shit ton.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
I haven't received one but I hope UPS get nailed to the wall. They are crooks.

·
Administrator
16,419 Posts
meh, those class action suits dont pay jack shit. i dated this girl once who was part of a suit against a manufacturer of a birth control method that lasted 5 yrs, they stuck it in her arm. the suit was for millions and millions of dollars. it won. i saw her check. it was $14.87
I've been involved in 3 so far, this will be the 4th. One paid me $70k, another got me a new roof, so about $12k. The last one got me $20 and i expect the most i see from this one will be about $10 if I'm lucky.

·
Premium Member
3,172 Posts
Nothing here but I remember getting a good deal for an Epi Les Paul on Ebay many years ago only to be told I had to pay $90 for brokerage fees at my door. I had never heard of brokerage fees before that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got a letter two days ago. I wish someone would take on Fedex as well. Last spring I got a parcel from the US via Fedex. I paid $33 US (the parcel content was $39) for shipping but the grand total was still cheaper than buying it via amazon.ca Then.. 4-6 weeks after I had already received the parcel I get a bill from Fedex for $63CAN. No chance to refuse delivery and saw no way to refuse paying the bill. Ended up costing me more in the long run than amazon.ca :(

1 - 20 of 45 Posts