The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
never knew who Clarence White was, until yesterday....although I recognize him from Byrds '69 Fillmore concert footage

this is an interesting story

and more about the gtr now:

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Clarence white was big in the bluegrass circles. Tony Rice fashioned some of his style after Clarence White and owned his D-28. Not sure if Tony still has it.

·
Premium Member
26,629 Posts
I was in the same green room with Clarence White in 1970. I wish I had known then just how important he was. The Byrds came on stage shortly after that, doing tunes like Lover of the Bayou, Chestnut Mare, and several others.

·
Banned
13,247 Posts
I was in the same green room with Clarence White in 1970. I wish I had known then just how important he was. The Byrds came on stage shortly after that, doing tunes like Lover of the Bayou, Chestnut Mare, and several others.
was that the time you were interviewing Frank Zappa?

·
Premium Member
26,629 Posts
No. That was the year before. There was an indoor festival at the Montreal Forum in 1970 with a bunch of acts, including the Byrds, Grand Funk, Robert Charlebois, the Amboy Dukes, and other acts***. The magazine I was writing for was covering the festival and I was assigned to interview Ted Nugent. I think I was backstage to arrange for the interview with his manager. The performers were all milling around in the same room. Grand Funk were pretty decent, as were the Byrds. The Amboy Dukes were so-so, partly because Grand Funk went on longer than scheduled and the Dukes had to scramble to re-organize their set.

But as I say, I wish I had known about Clarence White at that time. I think I bought Sweetheart of the Rodeo a couple of years after that.

(***You can see the list of most of the acts here, although nobody seems to have provided setlists: Montreal Forum, Montreal, QC, Canada Concert Setlists | setlist.fm I'm not completely convinced of the accuracy of the list since I don't recall Mashmakhan playing at the Forum. I do recall Trevor Paine and the Triangle playing at a festival at the Autostade later that summer, and several of the members of Trevor's band later formed Mashmakhan, implying that the timeline seems all wrong, although see here: Mashmakhan - Wikipedia. I recall seeing Jefferson Airplace, Van Morrison, Jethro Tull, and Johnny Winter at that Autostade festival, but have no recollection of Mountain or Donald Lautrec being in the mix Search for setlists: Autostade (page 2) | setlist.fm )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts