1,602 Posts
"Slow hand" ?! Deaf ??
Geee... ain't I that surprised ?!
I was just playing "Nobody knoows you when you're down and out"

P.S. BTW, how is Sir Paul's hearing ?

·
Premium Member
13,020 Posts
Tinnitus would drove me bonkers, I just know it. I'm glad my hearing is still functional with no noticeable deficits .

·
Premium Member
4,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep that was from an interview yesterday. I myself have hearing loss from playing and listening to loud music. I wear a hearing aid now. Initially it was just the higher frequencies that I don't hear but now even the volume has gone down too since I notice a boost in my hearing aid whenever I wear them. I have to turn up the volume of the TV set when I take the hearing aid off. For a while I didn't use it when I'm playing but recently I'm starting to miss a lot of the details in the sound I get from playing live music so I started using it. My HA also has a built in attenuator which is good when you are in a loud place like a pub but I turn it off when I'm playing.

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
I also suffered some damage to my ears through the years. Right now i have a set of custom made ear plugs to cut decibels when i am playing loud. i hate them cause they cut all clarity but have to wear them. Down the road probably will need some type of hearing aid. To be honest, i dont know of any old rockers who dont have some type of hearing loss.

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
I was always under the impression he lost most of his hearing in Cream.

I remember him saying in an interview several years ago that by the time Cream split up he had nothing in one ear and severe damage to his other, hence the smaller amps for a while.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Tinnitus showed up here finally when I started building my own tweed clone amps. Cranking them up. It has not receeded. However I am well aware of it now. I diligently wear custom fit ear plugs at every opportunity around noise. Lawn mower. Concerts. Impact guns. Skeet shooting. Whatever.

It is hard to keep plugs in at band rehearsal or at a jam. I struggle to keep them in. They screw up what I expect to hear. I am wondering if my future band/jam days may be few and far between.

I bought a Katana 50W recently for use at home. It does pretty well. My tube amps all sound great, but I am starting to falter on why I have so many. I have not been playing out much at all over the past year. I’ve got a 1960 Bassman sitting here. I’m starting to question why. I love them all but...Look after your hearing folks.

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
Tinnitus showed up here finally when I started building my own tweed clone amps. It gas not receeded. However I am well aware of it now. I diligently wear custom fit ear plugs at every opportunity around noise. Lawn mower. Concerts. Impact guns. Skeet shooting. Whatever.

It is hard to keep plugs in at band rehearsal or at a jam. I struggle to keep them in. They screw up what I expect to hear. I am wondering if my future band/jam days may be few and far between.

I bought a Katana 50W recently for use at home. It does pretty well. My tube amps all sound great, but I am starting to falter on why I have so many. I have not been playing out much at all over the past year. I’ve got a 1960 Bassman sitting here. I’m starting to question why. I love them all but...Look after your hearing folks.
Hold on to that Bassman.

·
Premium Member
11,823 Posts
This article flies in the face of all those "I need at least 100 watts" threads on another site. LOL No you don't. Not at all.

Personally, I blame drummers and those damn crash cymbals right by my left ear. It's the deafer of the two. I imagine the 80s had their impact on my hearing as well.

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
Dont know if anyone has any experience. Would good quality ear monitors or earphones help out ? Thinking
This article flies in the face of all those "I need at least 100 watts" threads on another site. LOL No you don't. Not at all.

Personally, I blame drummers and those damn crash cymbals right by my left ear. It's the deafer of the two. I imagine the 80s had their impact on my hearing as well.
Funny you mentioned the drummer being the problem as i always blamed my drummer of over 30 years for my hearing loss and he blamed me for his.LOL.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts