The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way for an individual to get guitars certified as having been built before CITES s you can sell across the border?
I have a few vintage guitars, and the market is so much bigger down there. But I can't ship them because of the rosewood.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
5,087 Posts
You need the paperwork, or you can deal with customs if/when they confiscate the guitar.

If you sell the guitar through Reverb or Ebay and it is confiscated due to lack of paperwork, you still owe the buyer a guitar or his money back. Then try dealing with the CBSA to get it back. Doesn't matter if it is a thousand years old or 2 days old, rosewood needs a certificate from the Canadian Government if it is going to cross a national border. And you can't get the paperwork until you have the buyers address.

You can take your chances they will slip through, but if they are vintage and expensive I wouldn't

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need the paperwork, or you can deal with customs if/when they confiscate the guitar.

If you sell the guitar through Reverb or Ebay and it is confiscated due to lack of paperwork, you still owe the buyer a guitar or his money back. Then try dealing with the CBSA to get it back. Doesn't matter if it is a thousand years old or 2 days old, rosewood needs a certificate from the Canadian Government if it is going to cross a national border. And you can't get the paperwork until you have the buyers address.

You can take your chances they will slip through, but if they are vintage and expensive I wouldn't
Is there a ready guide somewhere on how to get the appropriate paperwork? I wouldn't ship and hope, as that's a recipe for expensive disaster.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts