The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've sold a few guitars to buyers in the US on Reverb.com over the last year but suspect I can no longer do that without CITES certification.

Anyone have intel where a (casual) seller would look first to do this legitimately?

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
Canada - CITES Management Authority
Canadian Wildlife Service
Environment Canada
OTTAWA, ONTARIO
K1A 0H3
Tel: +1 (819) 938 41 19
Fax: +1 (819) 938 41 46
Email: ec.cites.ec @ canada.ca

·
Registered
611 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seems like the timeframe for them providing a permit is something like 40 calendar days after application which pretty much quashes any ability to do private sales. i.e. no one in the states is going to be cool with waiting 40 days to get a guitar shipped to them.

http://www.ec.gc.ca/cites/BA634294-...et_CITES_Export_wood_or_wood_products_eng.pdf
Wow, yes that will impair a sale. I hoped, before reading it, that a generic certificate could be generated but the Recipient information is required for the application.

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
According to Reverb, it is going to take "months" for the US Fish and Wildlife to catch up...

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
Found a loophole

It does not apply to instruments shipped within the borders of your country or instruments carried for personal use while traveling internationally [unless they contain more than 22 lbs. (10 kg) of the regulated woods]

Carry it across the border and mail it. No paperwork required. Just make sure you have less than 22lbs of rosewood on the guitar. LOL

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
I had the same problem. Was trying to find a Les Paul Jr., and was hoping for something from japan mid 80's but had to settle for a Gibson located in Canada instead.

·
Banned
13,241 Posts
Or sell them to fellow Canadians. :)
Yep. That's the plan for anything with rosewood. I found an sg the other day I'd been looking for for quite a while. I was over the moon to find it was in Canada.
It would be great to see something like Kijiji put protocols in place for safe and easy transfer of funds and potential for shipping instruments within Canada.
Tons of great gear across this country but tough to get at if its not local.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It would be great to see something like Kijiji put protocols in place for safe and easy transfer of funds and potential for shipping instruments within Canada.
Tons of great gear across this country but tough to get at if its not local.
Out of curiosity I did a few Reverb searches and specified Canada as the location of the product. There are a lot of listings for items like 335s and SGs but pricing is at the higher end. Those prices may come down now that the American market has vanished (or least got more difficult to sell to).

What about stores like Ishibashi in Japan selling to Canada? Since the recent changes affecting rosewood are to American legislation, not Canadian rules, will Japanese sellers still sell to Canadian buyers?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Out of curiosity I did a few Reverb searches and specified Canada as the location of the product. There are a lot of listings for items like 335s and SGs but pricing is at the higher end. Those prices may come down now that the American market has vanished (or least got more difficult to sell to).

What about stores like Ishibashi in Japan selling to Canada? Since the recent changes affecting rosewood are to American legislation, not Canadian rules, will Japanese sellers still sell to Canadian buyers?
CITES is international and Ishibashi has stopped shipping anything with rosewood for now. I asked them last week.

·
Registered
218 Posts
So does that mean I can't sell a guitar with a rosewood board on Reverb??
I thought this whole thing was only for companies. What happens if I try??
You can still sell on Reverb but you will have to obtain the re-export certificate which can take up to 40 days, which will pretty much kill any sort of Reverb/Ebay sale you have outside of Canada. You can try to ship the guitar without the certificate; best case scenario is it gets through US customs without an issue. Worst case, the guitar is confiscated, you lose the guitar and you will have to refund the full amount to the buyer.

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
I asked Reverb, what would happen "if", and all they will say is please refer to the web page on their site. So you are not covered on Reverb if customs steps in due to lack of paper work.

Are they expecting the average Joe to know about this though? Are there tv commercials? ( I wouldn't know I refuse to pay 100/month for cable)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.