The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you folk had difficulty while driving across the border getting guitars into the US ? Has CITES become an issue at border crossings ?

·
Premium Member
4,731 Posts
It is perfectly legal to take your guitar across the border no matter what it is made of

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
I carried two over earlier in the year. I disclosed that I was crossing the border to ship a couple of guitars and got absolutely no issues from customs.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I've heard that it is best to have picture on your phone of the receipt from when you bought it or a photocopy of the original just to be safe.

·
Premium Member
4,731 Posts
Why? The Cites rules clearly indicate you can bring rosewood with you across the border as long as it is in your possession.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
It's just what I've heard.
I've never crossed the border with a guitar myself but that's what I've heard others say.
I think there's likely a fair bit of confusion out there.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Why? The Cites rules clearly indicate you can bring rosewood with you across the border as long as it is in your possession.
BMW is right, but it isn't a 'CITES' thing going down, it is a 'prove it is your guitar when you are coming back into Canada' thing. If you can't, they might try to accuse you of buying it in the the States. Some Customs Officials can be major dicks where I live. I am 1/2 hour from three crossings, and I have been hassled way more coming back than going down.

Reactions: Dorian2

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
BMW is right, but it isn't a 'CITES' thing going down, it is a 'prove it is your guitar when you are coming back into Canada' thing. If you can't, they might try to accuse you of buying it in the the States. Some Customs Officials can be major dicks where I live. I am 1/2 hour from three crossings, and I have been hassled way more coming back than going down.
When one leaves Canada with a guitar or any other item with which one plans to return to Canada, one can get a "certificate of temporary exportation" to identify the item. It's good forever. It means stopping at Canadian Customs before entering the US or any other jusrisdiction.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When one leaves Canada with a guitar or any other item with which one plans to return to Canada, one can get a "certificate of temporary exportation" to identify the item. It's good forever. It means stopping at Canadian Customs before entering the US or any other jusrisdiction.
Yes , the little green card, I am familiar with it. I am going to a small guitar show show outside Boston as part of a vacation. We take the ferry from NS to Portland , Maine.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
You can. You can also keep the receipt in the case. Or I guess on your phone these days, but when I used to do it there were no cell phones. I used to take my guitar to Point Roberts to jam a lot back in the early 90s and learned that one the hard way...getting hassled coming home.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts