The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using an old Dunlop DC-Brick for a number of years now.

That unit has served me well, but I've started to encounter some limitations recently after acquiring some higher current pedals and an acoustic pre-amp that needs AC power.

I've been looking around for a power supply that can handle all of these simultaneously and more:

High Current DC:

Zoom MS-70CDR or similar - 9V DC ~500mA
EHX C9 - 9V DC ~300mA

Moderate Current DC:

Old-style Holy Grail Reverb - 9V DC ~150mA(?) on a skinny earphone-style jack
Gen 1 Visual Sound H2O - 9V DC ~???mA - can't find a power spec for this
other misc pedals on 9V DC less than 100mA, at least 4 of these

AC:

BBE Acoustimax preamp - 12V AC ~200mA+

Ideally I'd like a power supply that can handle MORE than I currently need, so I don't need to replace it again down the road.

The CIOKS AC10 seems like a nice option.

The specs for this thing say it's got 10 output jacks in 6 isolated sections, but I'm counting 7 isolated sections, so maybe I'm confused.

#1 - 9V DC 100mA
#2 - 9V DC 100mA
#3 - 9/12V DC 200mA
#4 - 9/12V DC 200mA
#5 and #6 - 9/12/15V DC 600mA
#7 and #8 - 9/12V DC 600mA OR 9/12V AC 800mA
#9 and #10 - 9/12/16V AC 800mA

The config is a bit confusing to me. In some spots they use a DIP switch to configure the voltage on a single jack (9 vs 12V DC for example) and in other spots they offer two separate jacks at different voltages on the same isolated supply. It's not really clear to me if it's possible to use (for example) 9V AC AND 12V AC at the same time from a single 800mA segment. Either way, it looks like it's got what I need, at least for now.

SO...

Where can I buy CIOKS in Canada? So far the only outlets I've found are mojomusic and electricmojoguitars which kinda seem like they might be the same business (?). Are there others?

Are there other power supplies I should consider that meet all the need I've outlined?

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
17,196 Posts
Does voodoo labs or strymon meet the requirements?

Mojo is in oakville and electric mojo is quebec iirc.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Voodoo Labs units seem to be AC-only or DC-only - I don't see any that offer both in the same unit. Maybe I'm missing something.

Strymon doesn't offer any AC supplies at all, from what I can see.

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
There was someone selling on here last week - did you search the for sale sub forums?

I got my Cioks from a store out west.... Ah these guys (Edmonton): Home

They didn't have all of what I wanted (Schizophrenic and some accessories) but they are an official Cioks dealer (listed on Cioks website) so they just orderred it in for me. The price was good too, but this was 2-3 years ago now. I think there's free shipping in CA too.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 63 SG Standard, 62 Fender Princeton and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,194 Posts
Yankee makes few models that would suit your needs as well. Charles @ElectricMojo sells both Yankee and Cioks AFAIK and is a stellar guy to deal with!

Reactions: ElectricMojo

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
Electric Mojo is US, BUT they do offer free shipping to CAN.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's a very reasonably price One Spot / Truetone unit (CS12) that's REALLY close to what I need, but I it only does AC at 9V instead of the 12V AC I need.

DOH!

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 63 SG Standard, 62 Fender Princeton and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,194 Posts
Reactions: ElectricMojo

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DOH again.

I just realized that the AC10 works like this:

#1 - 9V DC 100mA
#2 - 9V DC 100mA
#3 - 9/12V DC 200mA
#4 - 9/12V DC 200mA
#5 and #6 - 9/12/15V DC 600mA - OR - #7 and #8 - 9/12V AC 800mA
#9 and #10 - 9/12/16V AC 800mA

So it's really only got ONE high current DC supply, not two.

There is a CIOKOLATE that would cover what I need, but it's pricey and it's kinda huge (almost 12" long x 4" wide).

The Yankee products are similarly expensive.

Back to the drawing board...

·
Registered
345 Posts
There's a very reasonably price One Spot / Truetone unit (CS12) that's REALLY close to what I need, but I it only does AC at 9V instead of the 12V AC I need.

DOH!
You have mentioned the Cioks Chocolate, but if it is too much....

How about using both a Trutone CS12 AND a Cioks AC Rider (3 isolated outlets, one of the them being 9V or 12V AC at 800mA)?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts