The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Go to Devon in England. Go to a pub out in the country and ask for local rough cider. It is heaven in a glass but be prepared for a major hangover the next day. It is very strong and doesn't taste it.
I wish I had been old enough to drink when I lived in England.

·
Premium Member
12,582 Posts
Go to Devon in England. Go to a pub out in the country and ask for local rough cider. It is heaven in a glass but be prepared for a major hangover the next day. It is very strong and doesn't taste it.
+1

After having a pint of cider in a few pubs in London, I really can't stand the stuff they sell here. I know of one pub that has cider on tap in Coq, but it isn't the same either. Maybe it was partially the ambience of being in pubs older than Canada?

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
+1

After having a pint of cider in a few pubs in London, I really can't stand the stuff they sell here. I know of one pub that has cider on tap in Coq, but it isn't the same either. Maybe it was partially the ambience of being in pubs older than Canada?
I spent a winter in Bristol many years ago. Some of the pubs served rough cider sometimes called scrumpy. It is deadly. I used to buy it in bulk from a guy who lived in a warehouse down by the river where he made cider and sold it. You could bring your own jugs or he would supply it in plastic gallon jugs. He actually was the official cider supplier for Charles and Diana's wedding. He said it was the apples. He bought his apples from Devon and Somerset which are both south of Bristol. One of my friends had relatives who owned a farm in Somerset. We would go down to their local out in the country side and drink scrumpy. I honestly don't know how I'm still alive. More than a few drunken rides home up the A38.

Scrumpy - Wikipedia

·
Premium Member
12,582 Posts
I spent a winter in Bristol many years ago. Some of the pubs served rough cider sometimes called scrumpy. It is deadly. I used to buy it in bulk from a guy who lived in a warehouse down by the river where he made cider and sold it. You could bring your own jugs or he would supply it in plastic gallon jugs. He actually was the official cider supplier for Charles and Diana's wedding. He said it was the apples. He bought his apples from Devon and Somerset which are both south of Bristol. One of my friends had relatives who owned a farm in Somerset. We would go down to their local out in the country side and drink scrumpy. I honestly don't know how I'm still alive. More than a few drunken rides home up the A38.

Scrumpy - Wikipedia
LOL Used to get something like that from Hutterite colonies. Although it was probably a lot closer to potato vodka than apple cider. We'd swap them a 6 pack of beer for probably 40 oz of their hooch. A six pack would give a couple of us a buzz, that 40 of rotgut could keep six of us hammed for a week.

But I digress ------- back to the already scheduled piss-cussion on cider.

·
Registered
10,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had some Niagara Cider at my sister's a few weeks or a few months ago, it might have been Pellar Estates, and there might have been a bit of wine mixed in it. It wasn't bad. My policy when visiting them is to just drink to keep my sanity.

I tried a Strongbow yesterday but it tasted a bit synthetic and sugary to me. I'm open to all suggestions.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Yes, I'm looking for a domestic cider, too. There are a couple styles I don't like:

* apply juice + alcohol -- I don't like the overly sweet kinds. These are often flavoured: strawberry basil! :confused:
* dishwater flavour. I've had cider in the UK (although I lived in Manchester, not Somerset) and I found it undrinkable.

I'm looking for something that is dry and still tastes of apples. Extra credit for fewer ingredients.MJF$#

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
I like very dry, and hopefully low sugar ciders.

Local Press is good, as is Thornbury. Surprisingly, Strongbow is pretty good on the sugar numbers too.
My fave tasting cider, setting aside the sugar requirement, is Reinhart's Red. Amazing Red Delicious apple taste.

·
Premium Member
4,033 Posts
Yes, I'm looking for a domestic cider, too. There are a couple styles I don't like:

* apply juice + alcohol -- I don't like the overly sweet kinds. These are often flavoured: strawberry basil! :confused:
* dishwater flavour. I've had cider in the UK (although I lived in Manchester, not Somerset) and I found it undrinkable.

I'm looking for something that is dry and still tastes of apples. Extra credit for fewer ingredients.MJF$#
Dude, see my post above. Broken Ladder. It's made right in your town.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Dude, see my post above. Broken Ladder. It's made right in your town.
I'll try it! We do have a lot of apple orchards around here.

I found a Strongbow in my cupboard (someone brought it to a dinner) and I found it kinda "meh". A bit too sweet and not much flavour. The search continues!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts