The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody been to Churchill, or have anything to pass along regarding the Northern Studies Centre located by there?

I've never been north of the Sault, so I have no idea what August that far up would be like. Mosquitos? Black flies? Falling icicles off the roof?

Our 16 year old has been invited to spend August up there assisting in prep work for a polar bear expedition out of the Northern Studies Centre. Of course we want him to go experience that (on his high school's tab) - but he'd be hard pressed to spend a month lakeside in Muskoka if we're being honest. A month in Churchill seems like another kind of isolation altogether...

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Bugs should have calmed down by then.
Weather could be quite hot.
What some see as isolation, others see as freedom.
"Worst-case-ontario": a fresh appreciation for what he has now.
Could be a girl or two up there too...
Sounds like a real opportunity to me.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Isn't Churchill invaded by polar bears ?
I kind of remember a news report about that some years ago...

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Kapn - appreciate the input. The list of requirements indicated clothing adequate for +15 to -30 so that's quite a swing to prepare for. He would be staying at the University of Manitoba for a couple days before and after the excursion to Churchill for him to get his fill of "social activities" with the group.

Thanks for the concern for my son, mhammer. Given the fact that he got his first university credit in astronomy when he was 11, we're not too concerned with his employment possibilities as an adult. Gotta be honest, would have expected more on Churchill and less on 16 year old boys if you were going to take the time and effort to offer your opinions and insights - you know, as an adult.

Churchill is for sure prime polar bear country. In the info he got regarding the trip, October is high season for polar bear activity there. He would not be permitted to carry any sort of deterrent beyond sprays, but they will have armed security for the 10 days away from the compound. Beluga whales are likely to be more plentiful there during the time he is up there.

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
First, a 16 year old, on vacation with his family, would be tortuous for him, no matter how mind-blowing the local. In Churchill, he will be working, he will be others his own age,... AND HIS PARENTS WON'T BE THERE. So I don't think you can make the comparison, really.

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the boy got back from his Winnipeg> Churchill> Rankin Inlet expedition tired, sick and thrilled about the whole thing.

He had a blast on multiple levels as winds were 70+ the last 3 days so they didn't get to go out and record beluga whales "talking", but he was able to join a different prof for a trip in and around Wapusk National Park for a day of caribou migration patterns and whatever else one gets up to in the tundra. He was disappointed that they got to see the northern lights the first night but he didn't take his camera so he could just experience it without worrying about capturing it. That was the only great night for seeing them - the rest were too cloudy to get much of a shot to show his parents.

Bugs and critters were kept to a minimum considering those last 3 days were single digit temps with windchills below zero. Lots of winter jackets and toques for the end of August.

The kids brought along 400 pounds of fruit & vegetables up to Rankin and another 300 pounds in household items. Our son explained his excursion to his dentist who donated boxes of toothbrushes and toothpaste to the cause. He also brought along a suitcase full of rubber boots to leave in Churchill - they are prized possession up there apparently so he figured why not since WestJet flew all their donated stuff free as humanitarian aid.

He counted polar bears until he got to 40 of them out in the wild, but said it would be like counting squirrels here... I don't have many pictures to share because whenever he pulled his camera out, there always seemed to be the same girl in them for some reason. He's going into grade 12 so that might have something to do with his lack of focus with a camera... He has to give a two hour presentation to the teacher that recommended him for the trip and a couple of his classes and in exchange will get 2 additional high school credits for the time and effort since this was an educational type thing (for the most part - 28 high school kids with free reign of a dorm in Winnipeg for a couple nights was decidedly less book-learnin' edumacation as it were…) There is talk he may be invited on another to Iceland if his parents are down with his losing a week of classes in the spring. To be determined...

They did have armed guides with them whenever they left the compound for obvious reasons. There are a couple of polar bears in the first pic behind the tree. The second pic was taken from the tundra buggy on their way into Nunavut.

Chill Procks.jpg

Chill Pbear.jpg

·
Registered
13,324 Posts
A 16 year old boy with a lot of pics of a girl on his camera.....who would have thought. I’ve been there once for work and since he’s back telling him to leave the local girls alone is no longer needed. All over the north there were and probably still are a lot of girls who will do anything to get out of there.

·
Registered
24,380 Posts
One of the episodes of "You Gotta Eat Here" profiled a restaurant in Churchill. It looked like a decent place to eat.

·
Registered
13,324 Posts
A friend of my younger brother has an old DC3 he used to fly into Churchill and places like that delivering freight. He put locking gas caps on the plane. He said you'd come out and the cap would be off the tank of your plane or vehicle and there'd be a couple of kids passed out on the ground or wing.

·
Registered
11,265 Posts
Kids have been huffing gas since the 70’s, the new thing is the bears huffing. Peer pressure is crazy in the bear community and this is just the beginning, next they’ll be huffing heroin

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Kids have been huffing gas since the 70’s, the new thing is the bears huffing. Peer pressure is crazy in the bear community and this is just the beginning, next they’ll be huffing heroin
Ya some people think those polar bears are pets but they got to find out the hard way, they are not.

·
Premium Member
11,867 Posts
More likely, snortin' whisky and drinkin' cocaine.

·
Premium Member
11,867 Posts
In case you didn't get the reference ........

I like him/them better as a four piece.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts