The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy some humbuckers but they are in black with no covers and I want them with a chrome cover! is it possible to swap some covers on it without problem?

I found that on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.ca/Chrome-Humbucker-Pickup-Covers-for-Les-Paul-NEW_W0QQitemZ300138809846QQihZ020QQcategoryZ22670QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
So I imagine it's possible but how it's works? Do I have to remove the screws from my existing humbs? I don't want to mess up with my new humbuckers so there's somewhere that I can get the informations?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
Some things to consider:

You have to be sure of the spacing for the pole pieces before you buy the covers. For example, not all covers will fit Seymour Duncan pickups.

Also, If you don't want to pot the pickups, you might want to put a layer of double sided tape over the slugs before you solder the pickups covers on. Otherwise, you might get feedback at high gain settings.

Also, when soldering the covers on, be sure to use a reasonably high wattage iron (NOT a soldering gun) as the pickup acts as a heat sink. I would suggest 40 watts minimum.

Good luck with the covers.

Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts