The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
24,363 Posts
Mhammer, have you had a chance to try out the Digital Dimension DC-3? What is the difference between the two outside of one being analog and the other being digital? Thanks.
Nope, haven't had a chance to try it.

Thing about the DC-2 is that it's an extremely tightly packed pedal. In order to do what it has to do, there is a lotta stuff required, so I imagine that Boss opted for digital technology because it simply cost them less. Besides, for a little while there, the delay chips required for it were unavailable in the quantities Boss would need. If they were going to have to redesign around chip availability, may as well move to digital since many of their pedals are migrating that way already.

If Line 6 can do a digital emulation of the DC-2, I would expect that Boss could pul it off too. Just never heard it in person, though, myself.

Note that while I mentioned the rotary controls were not needed, that doesn't mean they can't be useful. The rackmount version of the Dim-C had continuous controls for speed and once you have that you need a control for depth. It was a hit, too.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
The Boss Dimension C has to be one THE greatest chorus pedals of all time.

I find the CE-2 is a nice "meat and potatoes" chorus, with little audible noise. Being able to dial back the wet signal, and being able to make it do vibrato, complete it.
I've been looking into finding a DC-2 for a while now, but haven't come across one. I saw a DC-3 for sale for roughly 150 or so, which seemed like a good deal, but I've never actually tried that one, so I'm not sure if it's as good as the DC-2.

In the meantime, I'm relatively happy with my CE-2, though I'm interested in this bass-cutting business you're talking about. What exactly is needed for this mod for the CE-2? Sounds like maybe just a cap switch here and there, or I am totally off-target?

·
Registered
24,363 Posts
No, you're bang-on target.

In particular, that would be C14 in the CE-2 : http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/tom/files/ce2.gif

Reducing it by half raises the bass rolloff pint by an octave. You will likely have to reduce it from the current value of .033uf to .001uf before you start hearing a difference. I realize that moving the lower boundary up by 5 octaves seems a bit much, but it starts out reeeeeeally low.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I own 2 CE-2 MIJ, Green Label & Black Label. I know that the black label is more rare, so I want to keep the black. Is there a way to find out the year of production by analyzing the serial #.

Great analog pedals, I use both of them at different settings.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm using the BBE Mind Bender right now. Its a chorus/vibrato pedal. The vibrato isn't the greatest. But I really like the chorus on it. Its modeled after the Way Huge Electronics Blue Hippo. I can get a huge variety of sounds out of it. You can get CE-2 sounds out of it but with more speed and depth potential out of it.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I'm test driving a Fulltone ChoralFlange right now. Sounds pretty good. Anyone try one? If so, what were your impressions.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I'm another CE-2 user. Love it, then stupidly talked myself into buying a Marshall SuperVibe, which I have never been all that happy with. It's built like a tank, but has a few too many parameters, like wave shape, and such, and I can't really get a lot of sounds out of it that I am happy with. Good thing I kept the CE-2, but I am also thinking about trying out a Cool Cat as well. I'm curious, do the Cool Cat versions with 9V or 18V sound or perform any differently?
-Mikey

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm another CE-2 user. Love it, then stupidly talked myself into buying a Marshall SuperVibe, which I have never been all that happy with. It's built like a tank, but has a few too many parameters, like wave shape, and such, and I can't really get a lot of sounds out of it that I am happy with. Good thing I kept the CE-2, but I am also thinking about trying out a Cool Cat as well. I'm curious, do the Cool Cat versions with 9V or 18V sound or perform any differently?
-Mikey

Do u prefer a stock MIJ CE-2 over a modded CE-2 ? I'm kinda undecided whether to mod the pedal or not, since i love the pedal the way it is. Would you personally mod the pedal, or would you leave it as is ? A psa conversion is a must; however, would the rate speed mod change the overall tone of the pedal ?

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts

The only chorus. I use the vibe side mostly.

CT.
Amazing chorus. A few years ago, I found one at a "Cash Converter" for $75.00 in mint condition with the original box. I loved the sound, but it was too nice to use :smile: Sold it to a collector in the states at a substantial mark-up.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Do u prefer a stock MIJ CE-2 over a modded CE-2 ? I'm kinda undecided whether to mod the pedal or not, since i love the pedal the way it is. Would you personally mod the pedal, or would you leave it as is ? A psa conversion is a must; however, would the rate speed mod change the overall tone of the pedal ?
Mine is just stock...I don't really see the sense in modding it, and wouldn't know how to if I did.
-Mikey

·
Registered
150 Posts
Anybody use the Boss CE-20 (the big one ?) I am in the market for a Chorus and these can be had for around $100 on Flea Bay.
I'd like to hear some opinions on this one too. I have a BYOC Chorus and I love it but I'm needing/wanting something with stereo ins and outs and the CE-20 seems to be the best priced one.

·
Premium Member
13,022 Posts
Amazing chorus. A few years ago, I found one at a "Cash Converter" for $75.00 in mint condition with the original box. I loved the sound, but it was too nice to use :smile: Sold it to a collector in the states at a substantial mark-up.
Unfortunately - there's an old time musician working at the local cash converter where I am. Anything like that wouldn't see the light of day. I bought an Ibanez 80s Flanger from him on eBay and only found out I knew him afterwards.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Of the chorus pedals you have listed I would pick the Ibanez.
However you might like a CE-2 or ARION. The CE-2 is very lush and the ARION is very hi-fi.
ymmv,
mark

81 - 100 of 101 Posts