The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,192 Posts
You might want to include this too which is at the same price range as the ones above. I've not tried it but have read some good comments about it.

·
Premium Member
16,548 Posts
I have this one.

Believe it or not it's not as "digital" sounding as I normally prefer, but it has a wide range of chorusing sounds and it's pretty quiet. Also, the delay is very nice.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Chito said:
You might want to include this too which is at the same price range as the ones above. I've not tried it but have read some good comments about it.

...the cool cat is an astounding chorus, and unbelievably cheap if you can find one second hand. i have one on my pedal board. before i bought i had a unique opportunity to a/b it with the boss ch-1 and with the very expensive tc electronics chorus/flanger. it sounded about 95% as rich and lush as the tc electronics, at about 1/8th the price!

-dh

·
Premium Member
4,192 Posts
That's what Ive been hearing about the Cool Cat.

I've used a CH1 for years but now I want a more richer sounding chorus. I tried the EH Nano Small Clone but with just one knob, it didn't really give me much in terms of being able to dial in the type of sound I like. I could probably get the more expensive Analogman, Voodoo Labs and the TC Electronics, but I figured for the amount of time I use the chorus pedal, spending that much money on the boutique ones is overkill. Just my opinion tho.

BTW, the new version of the CC uses 9volts rather than the original 18volts, I wonder if there would be a difference between the 2.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Chito said:
That's what Ive been hearing about the Cool Cat.
I've used a CH1 for years but now I want a more richer sounding chorus. I tried the EH Nano Small Clone but with just one knob, it didn't really give me much in terms of being able to dial in the type of sound I like. I could probably get the more expensive Analogman, Voodoo Labs and the TC Electronics, but I figured for the amount of time I use the chorus pedal, spending that much money on the boutique ones is overkill. Just my opinion tho.
BTW, the new version of the CC uses 9volts rather than the original 18volts, I wonder if there would be a difference between the 2.

...i doubt it, but check out the reviews. i wish i had the nine-volt version, as it would mean one less power supply.

-dh

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I use an old Small Clone, an old CE-3 and a really old Guyatone PS series chorus. I like'm all for my needs and they haven't failed me yet.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I use the EHX Small Clone Chorus. I love it. Very warm sounding. I also have the Deluse Memory Man and Small Stone Phaser. I've tried Boss pedals but I found them to be very tinny sounding.

·
Registered
64 Posts
:wave:

How about a Boss CE-1 Chorus ensemble? I'd post a pic but I don't know how!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Milkman said:
I have this one.

Believe it or not it's not as "digital" sounding as I normally prefer, but it has a wide range of chorusing sounds and it's pretty quiet. Also, the delay is very nice.

Excellent Pedal...i have it on my Pedal Board and it's quite versatile

·
Premium Member
16,548 Posts
jroberts said:
I vote to banish chorus pedals altogether. There's nothing you can play with chorus that doesn't sound better without it. Worst sound on earth:

Ovation acoustic --> chorus pedal --> DI --> Board.
Run Like Hell without chorus would sound like a$$.

Used with discretion chorus is a beautiful enhancement.

Same goes for phase shifters. Some people just use them too much.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
jroberts said:
I vote to banish chorus pedals altogether. There's nothing you can play with chorus that doesn't sound better without it. Worst sound on earth: Ovation acoustic --> chorus pedal --> DI --> Board.

...i agree, for the most part. i get more use out of mine than most would, playing in a trio. i use it on one cover: runaway train (soul asylum), all the way through and, for that song, it really does seem to enhance rather than detract.

generally, however, i find a thick chorus often works on a specific phrase, or section of a song.

less, as always, is best.

-dh

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'll vote for the Ibanez since it's the one I use. I play in a band which covers a lot of Fleetwood Mac and I get a lot of mileage out of the pedal, probably more than any other on my board.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got the Small Clone today and looks like a Vintage IBANEZ CS9 from one of my friends.. time will tell which one i keep.
Thanks for all of the recommendations guys :bow:
FZ1

·
Premium Member
13,026 Posts
I've just started using chorus pedals. I picked up a couple of used ones a week apart. I got the Boss CE-3 for $70 and the Boss CH-1 for $41. Right now, I've got the CE-3 set very subtle to add some body and colour to the sound through my Gibson GA-5. The CH-1 is set for a nice mild to moderate chorus with the Roland Blues Cube. I like them so far. After all, I am very to chorus so I'll be tweaking for a while.

I discovered Chorus while using my Line 6 GuitarPort. When I added a small amounts, it was like, "Hey, I like this"

I tried to get an Ibanez CS-9 on eBay but got outbid in the last 15 seconds. Thing about pedals, is that you can try a half dozen or more and always resell the ones that don't fit what you are looking for. With little loss if they are purchased used I might add.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Chorus: to be used sparingly.....

There's a couple of fellows in the Cowtown scene who are addicted to it to the point that you can tell who is playing immediately if you don't see them. They never use any other effect. Pleeeease!

I use a Boss, once in a blue moon.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts