• Black with tort. guard.

Votes: 8 42.1%

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to order a 5 string SX jazz this week, but can't decide on what colour to get.

Both come with a plain white pick guard, so either bass will get a tort.guard installed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It's more of a personal choice, but I would pick the 'burst over black for two reasons: I would grow tired of the black more quickly and over time the wear on the 'burst would be "mojo" where on the black it would just be "ugly".

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oddio said:
It's more of a personal choice, but I would pick the 'burst over black for two reasons: I would grow tired of the black more quickly and over time the wear on the 'burst would be "mojo" where on the black it would just be "ugly".
I agree with the wear part - I like the mojo of a well-worn bass. I don't think I'm gonna "relic" it though - just play the hell out of it.

Someone posted that black one yesterday over at HCBF and it got me thinking. Pretty cool combo.

·
Registered
22 Posts
three of my strats have been given the black with tort gaurd treatment, i dont know why i like this combination so much, i just do. two of the strats are my own personal build-ups, and one is a Clapton. I thought i would make each one different, but I just kept using this combination, i love the way it looks.

i vote for black/tort

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
yeah I'm gonna have to go with the sunburst too...but that's just because there's no, "there both ugly" options

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
james on bass said:
hey now...:mad:
but my bass is clearcoated maple, with no pickguard.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
james on bass said:
That would be sweet, but not an option with SX as they are top routed.
ah I see. I don't have a picture of my bass. I might try and get one tonight and post it l8r.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Im a metal guy and I can see that the burst would be best. Not only does it match the pickguard well, it has a nice classic look to it. Lots of character.

·
Registered
14,562 Posts
I'm not a fan of tortoise shell pickguards--maybe it's because when I started playing I saw so many cheap copy guitars with the tortoise shell look that I came to associate the two.

But if you're going to have tortoise shell--it looks better with sunburst than with a solid colour.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts