The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Would you buy a guitar from the online Chinese dealers?

• Yes - even if it was a forgery of a name brand

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • Yes - but only if it was not a forgery

Votes: 22 19.5%
  • No, I would not consider it

Votes: 81 71.7%
1 - 20 of 357 Posts

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This guitar was advertised as a Custom Shop 60's Strat. Total price was $183.00 CDN shipped to the door. Guitar arrived today in a very secure, form fitting hard foam case. I did not order a guitar case with it. Right out of the box the first thing I noticed was the neck. This guitar was advertised via pictures with a birdseye maple neck. This one clearly does not have birdseye.

The decals are all clear now and they are all Fender decals.

PS: There were no duty or taxes collected.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Don't even go there without pics man!!!! :)

·
Premium Member
17,811 Posts
Thanks for taking the time (and expense) to do all of this.

I'm sure that the thread will will be the "hottest" in recent memory and will be of historic significance for GC

Looking forward to all the pics and comments.

Cheers

Dave

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The weight as carried seems right enough. I will get an official weight shortly. The feel is good. No sharp frets. The paint job is as good as anything I have seen here. Only two items stick out right now. Some type of glue or gum on the fretboard

DSC_0042_zpsa39b9fa4.jpg

And the neck to body pocket could have been much better.

DSC_0048_zpse5384446.jpg

DSC_0049_zps783204ce.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Pick-ups have the "Noiseless" script on them
I noticed that. I just bought some Hot Noiseless pups on CL this weekend and now I'm a little leery, but they came with the orig packaging, so I'm hoping I didn't get fleeced. Haven't installed them yet.

Looking forward to hearing how this works out.

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Initial plug in report.

Strings were loose for shipping. After an initial tuning and stretching it appears to be staying in tune. Tuner are not loose but appear to be cheap. Action is way high but the posts on the bridge do not appear to have ever been adjusted. They are all in the furthest position so the bridge is way high right now. Neck is straight and true. No warping anywhere. Strings lined up properly. The guitar sounds perfectly fine. Have to be honest there. Sounds very nice actually. Running it clean through my '67 Super Reverb. All controls, switches and knobs work as they should.

·
Registered
701 Posts
there is no serial number on this guitar anywhere. As for the other brand markings see below
Note the use of the word "INSURE". INSURE applies to insurance. The correct word is "ensure".

To ensure that something will be done means to make it certain to happen.“When amending the contract, the lawyer ensured that her client received a better deal.” To insure someone or something means to protect the person or object against risk by regularly paying an insurance company a sum of money. In the event the person is injured or killed or the object is damaged or lost, the insurance company will then pay out a sum of money to cover the injury or loss. “The company was insured against accidents in the workplace.”

The neck pockets are not very good looking, but actually I think the way they did it makes sense! That is a pretty good solution to the problem of stressing the paint when messing with the neck.

Just my initial observations. Nice colour choice dude!

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I'd like to see he control cavity. does the neck have a working truss rod?
It has the truss rod access on the top of the neck, also came with an adjustment wrench. Unknown if it works. However the pocket end is solid.

DSC_0056_zps76d99ee7.jpg

DSC_0058_zpsce4de068.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
looking at the neck pocket, it does not look like plywood.

looks like 3 or 4 layers of pine.

1 - 20 of 357 Posts