The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Bittersweet memory of my 14th birthday. (1964) I collected coupons from corn syrup bottles that you could send in and get a picture of a Toronto Maple Leaf player. I collected the whole team. My neighbour worked at Maple Leaf gardens and he got me and my brother tickets to a leaf game. (greys) Because he worked there, we were able to be at the door that the players used to come in for the game so we got every picture signed by the player as they came in. All the greats were there. Had a pee standing beside Frank Mahovlich. (too much information?) My neighbour grabbed me a warm up puck and a old pair of Carl Brewers skates that had been thrown out. The only player that wasn't there was Dave Keon. He had family issues. A child I think. The bittersweet part was that over the years, the binder that held all the pictures went missing. I still have all the great memories though but wonder what a signed picture of every player (-1) of the 1964 Leafs might be worth today. Thanks for the memories.

SLCO.jpg

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
No i cant i wast even around in the 80s lol. But a childhood memory would have to be fishing with my late grandfather he wasn't much older than 60 if was that when he passed. Fishing and making stuff with the wood in his woodshop and him saying "dont forget to pickup the nails i dont need a flat tire".

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
No i cant i wast even around in the 80s lol. But a childhood memory would have to be fishing with my late grandfather he wasn't much older than 60 if was that when he passed. Fishing and making stuff with the wood in his woodshop and him saying "dont forget to pickup the nails i dont need a flat tire".

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Yes, I agree with him on that point. I'm the same way. One of my saying which I hope is passed down the line is "There's no such thing as a good or bad carpenter. It's just that some are better at hiding their mistakes" Feel free to use it with your grandchildren.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Standing on the back seat of the car as it drove along.

"Mom! Dad! Look at Terry! Look at Terry!"

I was so proud. I wanted to say something. But I was too little, and I couldn't speak yet.

Sometimes I think my whole life has been based around that event. Getting attention and expressing myself.

Pathetic.

·
Registered
9,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I remember asking Santa for a bicycle. I think I was 8 or 9 at the time. I woke and ran to the living room where the most beautiful bike had been placed beside the Christmas tree. I was besides myself.

I later found out that my father couldn’t afford to buy me a brand new bike so he got a second hand one dismantled it, tweaked and then painted it. It looked brand new to me. I was ecstatic. New, used, I didn’t care.

That bike was my ticket to freedom.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
Standing on the back seat of the car as it drove along.

"Mom! Dad! Look at Terry! Look at Terry!"

I was so proud. I wanted to say something. But I was too little, and I couldn't speak yet.

Sometimes I think my whole life has been based around that event. Getting attention and expressing myself.

Pathetic.
We used to fight over who got to sit on the front benchseat armrest in my dad's cars (always BIG Oldsmobiles). Our seatbelts were my dad's big right arm shooting out sideways as he braked :)

·
Registered
9,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am sure some of you can remember these commercials. I can still sing along or hum the tune. Ingrained in my brain. Lol

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
We used to got to Mt Tremblant in the Laurentians to the car races. Once a month on Sunday my mom would pack up a huge lunch for all the family and we would head out at 6a.m. in order to get there early. My dad was a great driver, very steady and safe and he could cruise along with our 65 Ford Galaxie 500xl with a 390 in it. Thats just one of the great moments with my mom dad and family. Boy do i miss that.

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
That bike was my ticket to freedom.
Bikes, bikes, bikes. All we did was ride our bikes, everything depended on them. I can't imagine what it would have been like growing up without bikes.

this guy was my hero:

Yep. He was an icon. I remember seeing the Caesar's Palace crash on Wide World of Sports (the theme is playing in my head right now ;) ), I was devastated. Snake River Canyon was a let down though, and it kind of all fizzled out from there. Maybe the expression should be 'jumped the Snake' instead of 'jumped the shark'. :D

Much later in life I picked up the Evel Knievel album. It's full of classic stuff, 'Evel talks to kids' is especially hilarious. I gave it to a friend who still has it.

Kurt Cobain was a big Knievel fan too, apparently he trashed the master tape though:
Dave Grohl says Kurt Cobain once stole from Evel Knievel (VIDEO)

·
Registered
9,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I remember coming home from grade school and my mom would have my favourite lunch ready for me. It was Campbell’s vegetable soup with ABC noodles along with Shiriff’s chocolate pudding with the little flavour bud in it. I would watch the Flinstones from 12-12:30 and then head back to school but not before my mother gave me a hug a kiss and a I love you before I left. Priceless memories!

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Soggy tomato & mayo on white (in soggy waxed paper) for me, lol. We had to take a lunch & bus it.
Good times.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts