The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long & McQuade in Ottawa had a nice looking used one for a good price. And this is why you want to test stuff before you buy it.

Treble circuit on the gain channel wasn’t working and neither was the reverb. Too bad, everything else worked and sounded fantastic.

Glad I took my time to check it out closely.

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Don't they give 90 days warranty on used.

I bought my Mesa F-100 without even plugging it in. They told me it had warranty. The price was really good and I was looking for an Amp that was in the same category as a Twin. I asked if the Amp worked, and they told me yes.

They gave me tubes later that day, when it didn't work right, and sent it out for the service tech to look it over.

That Mesa is a Twin killer. I am very happy with my purchase.

·
Premium Member
17,346 Posts
Long & McQuade in Ottawa had a nice looking used one for a good price. And this is why you want to test stuff before you buy it.

Treble circuit on the gain channel wasn’t working and neither was the reverb. Too bad, everything else worked and sounded fantastic.

They will fix it for you under the warranty. Our old old bass player's SVT classic went down at practice. L&M did the tech work which included a full retube. It just cost him the time spent to get it to Bloor.

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, they give a 90 day warranty but I don’t want the hassle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
17,346 Posts
What's the hassle? Just alert them to the problem and pick it up when it's fixed. :S

·
Registered
470 Posts
I can't fathom playing anywhere that I'd need a Fender 100 watt Twin. Lol.

I also can't fathom carrying one anywhere.

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Mine is in the basement and weighs in at about 100 pounds of glorious tone at low to mid volumes. I tend to keep it on the 50, or is it 60, watt setting. The Mesa is used as an amp or a cab for several other amps that shine with V30’s. The 100 watt setting just adds a little more fullness or punch, that you wouldn’t think was a possibility; but it is. It is the fullest range amp that I own. I also sold off my 212 cab, and will just keep the 112 cab, for portability and convenience sake.

I can see selling off 3 or 4 others amps in the 20 to 60 watt range, that get less and less use.

For what I have into it cash wise, it can stay until I can’t play anymore. It owes me nothing and is the amp that gives me the most pleasure. Carrying it up and down stairs solo, is a death defying feat at my age, but I have done it several times.

My first amp was a Twin, 50 some years ago, then a Fender Super Six, then a 410 Fender Concert, a Marshall, and so on, and so on,...

I wanted that big tone and feel, that this kind of amp easily delivers, even if it is only in the basement.

·
Premium Member
17,346 Posts

I move a twin, and its not even mine :p

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What's the hassle? Just alert them to the problem and pick it up when it's fixed. :S
I have to wait while they fix it. Who says I won’t find something else in the interim. I would have to make a few trips, test everything again, hope the tech was a good one, etc.

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

It wasn’t that heavy. Maybe 50 lbs. was on wheels too. With an an electric motor and and a remote. Like my mom’s golf cart. It just goes where you point it. Ok, maybe wishful thinking on the last part.

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine is in the basement and weighs in at about 100 pounds of glorious tone at low to mid volumes. I tend to keep it on the 50, or is it 60, watt setting. The Mesa is used as an amp or a cab for several other amps that shine with V30’s. The 100 watt setting just adds a little more fullness or punch, that you wouldn’t think was a possibility; but it is. It is the fullest range amp that I own. I also sold off my 212 cab, and will just keep the 112 cab, for portability and convenience sake.

I can see selling off 3 or 4 others amps in the 20 to 60 watt range, that get less and less use.

For what I have into it cash wise, it can stay until I can’t play anymore. It owes me nothing and is the amp that gives me the most pleasure. Carrying it up and down stairs solo, is a death defying feat at my age, but I have done it several times.

My first amp was a Twin, 50 some years ago, then a Fender Super Six, then a 410 Fender Concert, a Marshall, and so on, and so on,...

I wanted that big tone and feel, that this kind of amp easily delivers, even if it is only in the basement.
I agree, for the short time I was playing it, it was the nicest sounding amp I’ve ever tried. This one had a toggle for full or 1/4. Even at the full 100W setting at low volumes, it sounded sweet.

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't they give 90 days warranty on used.

I bought my Mesa F-100 without even plugging it in. They told me it had warranty. The price was really good and I was looking for an Amp that was in the same category as a Twin. I asked if the Amp worked, and they told me yes.

They gave me tubes later that day, when it didn't work right, and sent it out for the service tech to look it over.

That Mesa is a Twin killer. I am very happy with my purchase.
The John Petrucci head is something really special.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Yea, that's my issue as well. I'm done with 212 combo's. And 100 watt amps.

I jammed with a guy last night. He had a 100 watt DSL and I had my 15 (25?) watt TA15. He spent most of the night trying to dial his amp and 412 into the room (which was small) and everyone else - my little toaster with a 112 just fit in so easily with very little tweaking and twiddling.

A Twin would be nice - to stun intruders at the door. I just doubt they'd wait for the tubes to warm up first. Other than that, I couldn't ever imagine needing more than the 50 watts my biggest amp has. Ever.

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea, that's my issue as well. I'm done with 212 combo's. And 100 watt amps.

I jammed with a guy last night. He had a 100 watt DSL and I had my 15 (25?) watt TA15. He spent most of the night trying to dial his amp and 412 into the room (which was small) and everyone else - my little toaster with a 112 just fit in so easily with very little tweaking and twiddling.

A Twin would be nice - to stun intruders at the door. I just doubt they'd wait for the tubes to warm up first. Other than that, I couldn't ever imagine needing more than the 50 watts my biggest amp has. Ever.
I like lots of clean headroom with the distortion coming from pedals. I never turn my tube amps up to get tube distortion. The higher wattage tube amps give that.

·
Premium Member
17,346 Posts
Not to mention there's just something bigger sounding about (most) higher wattage heads when compared with their lower wattage brothers. The 3dB is negligible, it's about the compression and the low end response. Any great amp builder should be able to voice an amp how you want it though (especially if you're getting something custom built).

·
Registered
9,464 Posts

They offer warranty on used gear so just buy it and have them fix it (they will send it to Yorkville so the people at Traynor will do the repairs). And all you would have to do is to pick it up so I don't see how that is much of a hassle unless you live a significant distance from the store.

·
Premium Member
17,346 Posts
They offer warranty on used gear so just buy it and have them fix it (they will send it to Yorkville so the people at Traynor will do the repairs). And all you would have to do is to pick it up so I don't see how that is much of a hassle unless you live a significant distance from the store.
I already said that and the response was essentially "I don't want to wait". Which is fine, I just wish I knew what the price was so I could get it...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts