The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone steer me here?

I don't want data, I just want a basic talk and text plan that's cheap.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Seven Eleven offers on line, pay as you go cell phones that do not require payment each month like most plans whether you use up your time or not. I believe your minutes expire after a year. So if you use the phone very little it might be a option. I have not pulled the trigger but it was the best deal I seen on low usage phones.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Can anyone steer me here?

I don't want data, I just want a basic talk and text plan that's cheap.

Does anyone have any recommendations?
I was also wondering if u can port your old # as well...I am thinking of tossing my cell plan, I barely use the data...talk & text is just fine for me!

·
Registered
9,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seven Eleven offers on line, pay as you go cell phones that do not require payment each month like most plans whether you use up your time or not. I believe your minutes expire after a year. So if you use the phone very little it might be a option. I have not pulled the trigger but it was the best deal I seen on low usage phones.
Thanks!

I'll look into that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have been looking at cheap plans, with a family member ready for a first phone.

For monthly plans, Public Mobile (low-cost arm of Telus) has unlimited talk and text plans with no contract. All done on-line.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The 7/11 plan is good if you're not going to use many minutes since you don't need to pay every month if you're not using the minutes which is a huge bonus (as already pointed out), but it is pretty expensive for the minutes/texts you do use, so if you're using it much there's no savings there.

If you're in a zone covered by Freedom mobile that can be a great way to go - cheap enough to get some data too!

·
Registered
9,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been looking at cheap plans, with a family member ready for a first phone.

For monthly plans, Public Mobile (low-cost arm of Telus) has unlimited talk and text plans with no contract. All done on-line.
I looked into Public Mobile and it doesn't look very good.

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
If you're in a zone covered by Freedom mobile that can be a great way to go - cheap enough to get some data too!
I agree.
I was a Wind Mobile (they became Freedom Mobile) customer for 4 years. By far the cheapest AND the BEST plan available IMHO. The only reason I dropped them - where I work was in a coverage hole. I was paying $40 a month for unlimited everything - Canada & US calling/texting/data. World texting. As I would cross the border into the US, my phone would automatically connect to their US partner network. No roaming ever. It was great.......except while I was at work of course. Coverage is "spotty" if you are away from the major cities, but otherwise awesome.

·
Registered
9,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Freedom has been purchased by Shaw - so expect ongoing upgrades/expansion in coverage:)
I think coverage and reception were always the biggest complaints with Wind/Freedom, so if Shaw is doing upgrades then it could be a good way to go.

I'm with Rogers now for various reason, but have employment dealings with them in the past and would prefer to never do any business with them again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts