The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if they can identify this b and g bender? This guitar is local to me and I'm thinking about checking it out. My plan was to add a custom shop 52 tele as a back up to my Master built nocaster and they'd be my only 2 electrics. However I really would like a b bender but wouldn't be in to hacking up one of the custom shop guitars.
Since I've recently joined a very busy traditional country band where I'm doing a lot of steel licks I figure the bender would fit in nice. But I can't see using it for more than just a few songs a night so don't want to spend too much.
The guy is asking $600 CA ($450 US) for the guitar. It looks like some kind of partscaster. And my second question is, can I really expect something worthwhile for this little money? I don't want to get stuck with a crappy bender that has pitch or other mechanical problems. I have absolutely no experience with a bender but I have lots of confidence that I'll adapt well.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure about the bender, kinda looks homemade, but the guitar seems to be of the SX/Rondo variety
Yes I kind of thought it looked home made to. Sort of fashioned after a P\W. It actually looks a little heavier duty than a P\W and probably heavy as hell.

·
Registered
11,727 Posts
Yes I kind of thought it looked home made to. Sort of fashioned after a P\W. It actually looks a little heavier duty than a P\W and probably heavy as hell.
actually pretty cool the dude got it done, if it actually works. it looks like a fair bit of engineering and creativity. I would have just bought a kit, seems like a few available for do-it-yourselfers

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
I am now searching Kijiji for a G /B bender..
I just spent all night buying my B/G bender Tele.

PS, you'll likely only use the G bender 5% as much as the B.

If it plays good to you, buy it. It appears to be a homemade P/W or Forrest Lee style bender.

HipShot is always another budget option for a B bender that works very well and is way less invasive

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like a Parsons White bender.
Thats what I thought and I said that to the seller. Although I know its not. It looks a lot heavier than a p\w. This was his response to me.

It based on it but I built it I a a machinist the g is the same but actualled off the rear of the guitar that hooks onto your belt loop
I don't think anyone would be crazy enough to put an actual p\w bender on a cheap asian guitar. Of course it looks like the guitar is heavily modded as I don't think it has the stock neck on it.

·
Registered
24,713 Posts
I'll direct your attention to this thing, that I stumbled onto at Summer NAMM this year: http://www.vsquaredguitar.com/

Makes pedal-steel-like bend+swell easy to do with one hand. He's working on other bridge types, but the existing Strat-bridge model works like a charm.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll direct your attention to this thing, that I stumbled onto at Summer NAMM this year: TruV Volume Tremolo

Makes pedal-steel-like bend+swell easy to do with one hand. He's working on other bridge types, but the existing Strat-bridge model works like a charm.
I watched the video. Someones got to tell him those aren't pedal steel licks. Just a whammy with a volume function.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
I'll direct your attention to this thing, that I stumbled onto at Summer NAMM this year: http://www.vsquaredguitar.com/

That's neat, but it lacks the ability to change pitch on 1-2 strings of a chord without messing with the rest.

·
Premium Member
17,192 Posts
I don't think anyone would be crazy enough to put an actual p\w bender on a cheap asian guitar. Of course it looks like the guitar is heavily modded as I don't think it has the stock neck on it.
If it does have the stock neck on it, that's exactly what someone did.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Yes thats what he told me when he responded. I think if it wasn't on such a cheap guitar I'd go and check it out.
If you can afford it, buy it. It's a cheap way to find out if a Bender is for you. If you don't like it, sell it to someone else. If you do, and the bender works good you can transplant it into another quality body and go from there.

·
Registered
24,713 Posts
That's neat, but it lacks the ability to change pitch on 1-2 strings of a chord without messing with the rest.
Give him time. He started out with the most commonly available vibrato assembly. He's persistent enough that he'll eventually get around to more string-specific assemblies. And yes, I realize it doesn't fully duplicate pedal-steel, but it does cover a segment of the terrain, with negligible modification to the instrument. And for some folks that may be more important than nailing Clarence White licks.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts