The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey has anyone had any experience with the pick-ups made by an ebay user, microcomponents.llc

i've lurked on the harmony central forum and some have suggested that they are a pretty decent upgrades from stock pickups (say on a cheap MIM fender strat)

Our guitarist is lookin to upgrade, and was lookin at the lace holy grail but perhaps these cheap ebay ones could do the trick for better tone and higher output?

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
barrist said:
Hey has anyone had any experience with the pick-ups made by an ebay user, microcomponents.llc

i've lurked on the harmony central forum and some have suggested that they are a pretty decent upgrades from stock pickups (say on a cheap MIM fender strat)

Our guitarist is lookin to upgrade, and was lookin at the lace holy grail but perhaps these cheap ebay ones could do the trick for better tone and higher output?
IMO, never cheap out on pickups. The are the single most important part of an electrics tone. You don't need to spend an arm and a leg luck some of us do, but don't go with the cheapest.

:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I agree with Jeff that pickups are an important component of a guitars tone. But on the other hand I have had some good expierences with GFS pickups which I would call inexpensive. There build looks good and I tried a pair of Retrotron HB's and they sound quite good for the cost.. Other than that you could check out Highorder Pickups. These are handwound pups at a reasonable price ($55 US ea) and Jeff will wind them anyway you wish and offers good suggestions. The only down side is the wait time 10 weeks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the reply, any suggestions on a middle pick-up for an MIM fender HSS strat?

It's currently being played through a valvestate marshal combo but going to be moving on to play through an all-tube combo like a peavey classic or hot rod deville

music style would be considered in the vein of The Strokes, or similar "indie rock" bands.

·
Premium Member
13,026 Posts
I've heard many times that GFS pickups are great bang for the buck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I Deal with Microcomponents all the time, they are fast and fair. However, I agree with everyone else above.......don't cheap out on pickups. I buy parts (guards, trim rings, pots etc.) from them and they are great, you can bet I'll keep dealing with them. Let's face it, good pups are expensive, but if you lurk long enough you can still get name brands for cheaper on ebay than in most stores. Chances are good that if you buy the generic label pups from them, they will be the same as the ones you want to replace in a cheap guitar.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
I have purchased a GFS "Dream 90" pickup in the past and was not impressed at all. It is allegedly a P90 in a humbucker package but when I took it apart (sounded too weak and tame to my ears), I discovered a Strat-sized bobbin with a bar magnet on either side. Hardly a P90. Beware. :)

Jim

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I agree, don't cheap out on pickups.

Watch our For Sale section, good pickups at a good price usually show up here.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have 4 Bill Lawrence pick ups. 2 L500L's and 2 L280's. Fantastic pick up...

FWIW. I really like the Blue Velvet From Dimarzio for the Middle and neck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts