The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not so much on this forum but a lot on other forums I see questions like “How do I get Slash’s tone?” or any other famous player. I always think to myself why don’t you try and find your own tone? I’ve never tried to copy a tone. I will buy gear based on someone’s tone I like but I’m not trying to copy that person’s tone. I use that as a starting point to find my own tone. When I’m learning a song I may base my interpretation on an existing version but I never try to copy it note for note. The same with tone. I don’t copy, I interpret. How do you work? Do you try to get an exact copy or do you try to interpret it your way?

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
I agree. Nothing wrong with being inspired by someones tone. I always thought it was a dumb question, "How do I get (insert artists) tone". There really is no way to nail someone elses tone but you can get close enough to pass. In the 80's I was obsessed with getting Ray Flackes tone. I bought the same amp (L9 lab series) a tele and slap back echo. Never could get it to my satisfaction. Then I spent many years trying many different amps. Now my sound is a black face style amp a tele and a couple pedals and whatever came out of my fingers all along.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
When doing cover band stuff, I like to get close enough to the original sound. I don't care too much for exact copies, but for instance playing Sultans of Swing I'll use my Strat into a Fender amp instead of my Esquire into a dirt box.

Doing original stuff, I started out by aiming towards Vince Gill's tone. Along the way I found a happy place of tone that sounds like me. Other people's tone is a good guiding arrow to find your own.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
I agree. Nothing wrong with being inspired by someones tone. I always thought it was a dumb question, "How do I get (insert artists) tone". There really is no way to nail someone elses tone but you can get close enough to pass. In the 80's I was obsessed with getting Ray Flackes tone. I bought the same amp (L9 lab series) a tele and slap back echo. Never could get it to my satisfaction. Then I spent many years trying many different amps. Now my sound is a black face style amp a tele and a couple pedals and whatever came out of my fingers all along.
Another RF fan, sweet! Double stop me if you can.

·
Premium Member
16,790 Posts
I agree. Nothing wrong with being inspired by someones tone. I always thought it was a dumb question, "How do I get (insert artists) tone". There really is no way to nail someone elses tone but you can get close enough to pass.
Aren't there guys on youtube (pretty sure one works at Reverb) who can in fact nail classic tones? No idea how they do it, but they seem to have done it.

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts
Andy at guitar pros seems to be able to copy anyone, and he doesn't even use a pick! I think some people wan't to sound exactly like the studio album, which is a bit ridiculous considering how much post production goes on in the studio. How can you sound like say Rick Ocasic when they speed the song up to make it sound like a different key? I'd be happy to sound close to my guitar idols but that's just a pipe dream.

Reactions: mawmow

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
I will never play as well as professional musicians, nor do I care to sound note for note.

I just want the sound to be recognized as the music I am trying to play. My interpretations are undeniably me. Having the ability to cop important elements or riffs is important, but not to the point of the actual recording.

Too much stress, as I just want to have fun.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I chased the tone of Randy Rhoads back in the 80's, but could never quite get it with my lower end equipment (except the LP). It took a bit of time and experience to realize the tone I had previously sought morphed into my own sound. It totally became my sound when I swapped a bad mini humbucker in the bridge for a route and a full Duncan Custom SH-5 (DCJ). I lucked into that because I was going to get a DUncan JB bridge but they were out....so I told the guy I wanted something for heavy rock. 15.8K output ceramic later and there you have it. My sound. Give or take an amp and a pedal or 2....this all occurred about 4 or 5 years into my playing.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
i never tried to copy anyone's tone exactly. for my own sound? i'm not sure if i have one. i try to play through a decent amp, i have a few pedals i use for various things, i just play with the knobs till i get something i like. it usually works out better if someone else fiddles with the knobs and makes a sound they like while i play though.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I just want the sound to be recognized as the music I am trying to play.
I see nothing wrong in that. If you are of a lower skill level and you're playing covers there's nothing wrong with getting the right sound to make it more recognizable since people won't recognize it from your simplified version of playing it.

I can't tell you how many cover bands I've seen in pubs that play such simplified versions and with completely different sounds that you don't even know what they're playing until you recognize the lyrics.
For the average non-musician pub patron that's a turn-off.
They are the ones you're playing for.
They're the ones buying the drinks that the pub owner is trying to entertain with your presence.
They need to feel like you're nailing it in order for them to appreciate you.
If you can't play the licks at least you can get the sound and that's a good part of the battle in that situation.
Finding your own tone becomes more important as you become a more accomplished musician.

Reactions: mawmow

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
That was something that never really interested me , we do classic rock and I worked on a tone to use , and it took a bit of time and tweaking after each jam but I now like it so much i made sure to back it up .

I remember seeing a video about Brian May .His guitar tech said a professional guitar player came in and before the show he used Brian May set up and guitar ..and the Tech said , this guy was a great guitar player but he did not sound like Brian May .. using the very same equipment and guitar Brian uses...so we have heard that tone is in your hands ,..it’s very true...

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
There's so much "common knowledge" in the guitar world that sometimes it's hard to think outside the box; experimenting is fun, but it's time-consuming.
Sometimes looking at how different players obtain different tones is a great way to learn some new stuff.
I know I've learned a great deal just by looking at how Eric Johnson uses his gear, for example

1 - 20 of 40 Posts