The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to buy a MIM neck and change the radius from 7.5" to 9.5" or 10".

Is it 1) difficult, and 2) expensive?

The 70s classic series have a very similar profile and nut size to my Monty - which is why I like them. The only issue is the vintage radius.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
What about a compound neck from Stratosphere or Warmouth? The Fenders are pretty pricey though.

·
Premium Member
8,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about a compound neck from Stratosphere or Warmouth? The Fenders are pretty pricey though.
I tried getting in touch with Warmoth, but the email bounced back. I'll call them tomorrow. I was trying to figure out which one of their profiles would be closest. I don't need to be exact, but the closer, the better.

The MIM neck can be had for 1/2 the cost of a warmoth at $300CAD shipped to my door (my old warmoth cost me $614 shipped to Ohio). From what I gather, the only diff between an MIA neck and the MIM is the rolled edges and maybe a bit of fretwork (strat-talk forum).

never heard of stratosphere.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Another option would be to get a radius gauge ( you can borrow mine), figure out the radius, and buy the corresponding radius block from StewMac. Sand’er down with a light touch and refret. Seems like a lot of work for a guitar with a removable neck. Full disclosure I am not a luthier and I regularly talk out of my ass.

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
7,447 Posts
Yeah, belt sander was the first thing that came to mind ... lol

·
Premium Member
8,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another option would be to get a radius gauge ( you can borrow mine), figure out the radius, and buy the corresponding radius block from StewMac. Sand’er down with a light touch and refret. Seems like a lot of work for a guitar with a removable neck. Full disclosure I am not a luthier and I regularly talk out of my ass.
That may me the way to go. I'm not completely useless when it comes to wood.

·
Premium Member
8,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,254 Posts
I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to buy a MIM neck and change the radius from 7.5" to 9.5" or 10".

Is it 1) difficult, and 2) expensive?

The 70s classic series have a very similar profile and nut size to my Monty - which is why I like them. The only issue is the vintage radius.
you'd have to do a complete refret of the neck.. Plus change the radius... I would think that it would be well north of $300, I can't see it being worth you're time for a parts build. I would recommend just putting up a WTB ad for a neck with the specs you want.

·
Premium Member
8,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just pull the frets and buy the block from Stewmac. Verrry little material actually gets removed to go to 9.5.

That said, I've grown to like my 7.25. It's comfortable, and I'm a big bender.
What is you're action like

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You would do that for me? You're the best.

A measurement should be fine, then I'll measure mine and see where we're at.

You said you use a pretty light string gauge in another thread as well as bending a bunch of steps up, which sounds right up my alley.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 43 Posts