The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A coworker has asked me to help him change the strings on his son’s Ibanez guitar that has a Floyd Rose.
They have had the guitar for almost a year and this is the first string change.

I’ve never attempted a Floyd Rose before.

Other than watching a hand full of youtube videos, if there are any tips anyone can provide, it would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,353 Posts
another method is to slip something under the back of the bridge to hold everything in place while you change the strings. A Popsicle stick, a credit card, anything you can slide between top of the body and the back of the bridge. Like @laristotle said, it's a balancing act. Change string gauges and you'll be there fartin around for "a while".

·
Premium Member
4,952 Posts
I just use a rubber door stopper to keep the bridge in place. Replace all the strings, rough tune, then remove the rubber block. Tune again. Tighten string locks at the nut after a couple of days.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Leave the fine tuners with lots of space to raise pitch and make sure you really stretch out the strings before you lock it down.

Edit* Some people like to tighten them up at the machine heads.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,024 Posts
The important thing to remember is that with a floating bridge, the springs counterbalance the strings.

So, if the bridge was sitting level when tuned to pitch before you start chnaging the stings and you go one string at a time, you’ll end up with a level bridge when you’re done.

But even if you take them all off at once it should STILL end up correct. You just have to understand that every time you add a string, you add tension and the previous strings will be affected by this. In other words, if you install just the low E, tune it to pitch and then add the A string, the E string will go flat. You have to equalize the tension beween the springs and the strings.

I hope that makes sense.

It’s really not difficult. I can do a full changeover on a Rose inside of twenty minutes, probably less.

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
Move all the fine tuners to a good position at the bridge end. Do one strimg at a time. If you remove them all the Floyd will fall out. You can do them all at once but you will spend a ton of time trying to get the action back they way it was. I gave up on my Floyd rose and blocked it off. No trem arm anyway.

·
Premium Member
19,024 Posts
Do one string at a time if it plays well. Floyd's are a pain, I don't buy anyone telling me they like working on them.

I hear this sort of thing a lot, but I really don't get it.

I have installed and set up plenty of Floyds over the years and they are not such a big problem. A string change is an easy fifteen or twenty minute job.

I also hear testimonials saying that one brand of non-locking trems or another are as stable as a Floyd.

I call bullshit on that. NOTHING is as stable as a properly installed and set up Floyd in my opinion.

I can take my one Floyd equipped guitar out of the case after weeks or months of inactivity and it's so close to being bang on it's almost not worth tuning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I always had a basic wooden ruler in my tech box to slide under the bridge. Once in, proceed to change strings using the allan key. Stretch out the new strings thoroughly, & adjust fine tuner thumb screws on the bridge to around mid way. Proceed to tune the guitar following this pattern. Low E, hi E... A/then b..... followed by D then G. Continue by working your way back out, reversing the pattern. (1/6...2/5....3/4.....2/5....1/6) Keep with the pattern, until the guitar is in tune. Its all about keeping the spring tension even across the bridge. Once the guitar is relatively in tune, the ruler should slip out, as the bridge would be balanced again. (Visually balanced evenly with the body of the guitar). Once you are in tune, lock down the lock nut screws up at the headstock. Then fine tune your strings using the 6 thumb screw adjusters on the bridge.

·
Premium Member
19,024 Posts
if he hasn't changed strings in a year, he ain't usin the whammy anyhow. get him a temol-no
Not sure you can say that. Lots of people don't seem to understand the impact of a new set of strings.

Then there are people who prefer broken in and even old crusty strings (that one's a head scratcher).

The kid may have just been unaware and may have still been trying to use the Ibanez bar.

·
Premium Member
19,024 Posts
By the way, the Ibanez bridges are not Floyd Rose. They call theirs the Ibanez Edge I think. It's very similar, but I prefer the original Floyd design or models that more closely follow that design. I have a Gotoh that is hands down the best FR I have ever used.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I always had a basic wooden ruler in my tech box to slide under the bridge. Once in, proceed to change strings using the allan key. Stretch out the new strings thoroughly, & adjust fine tuner thumb screws on the bridge to around mid way. Proceed to tune the guitar following this pattern. Low E, hi E... A/then b..... followed by D then G. Continue by working your way back out, reversing the pattern. (1/6...2/5....3/4.....2/5....1/6) Keep with the pattern, until the guitar is in tune. Its all about keeping the spring tension even across the bridge. Once the guitar is relatively in tune, the ruler should slip out, as the bridge would be balanced again. (Visually balanced evenly with the body of the guitar). Once you are in tune, lock down the lock nut screws up at the headstock. Then fine tune your strings using the 6 thumb screw adjusters on the bridge.

Thank you for the detailed process. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
By the way, the Ibanez bridges are not Floyd Rose. They call theirs the Ibanez Edge I think. It's very similar, but I prefer the original Floyd design or models that more closely follow that design. I have a Gotoh that is hands down the best FR I have ever used.

Thanks, did not know that.

·
Premium Member
18,576 Posts
Theres 3 edge bridges that float, at least. I dont know if lo pro is one of them or its own thing.

Is the guitar restrung yet?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts