The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a noob, both playing and moding guitars. I have an old strat style Washburn which is showing its age. Pickups, and knobs have all went a not-so-nice yellowy colour. I want to replace them (and the pickguard while im at it) with black ones.

I know the knobs are easy to sway out, as is the pickguard, but ive never removed pickups. How hard are they to change? And is there anything specific i should look at to replace them with? brands? models? make any difference in sound/function?

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...don't mess with the pickups. if necessary, just replace the pickup covers.

fyi, a lot of players crave the vintage look of that "not-so-nice yellowy colour", and will even attempt artificial means of achieving it (aging/relicing).

-dh

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
Changing pickups is generally something people do to improve or at least change their sound.

Doing it for purely cosmetic reasons seems like a lot of trouble for what it's worth.

It's not rocket science but you need basic soldering skills and plan on spending a couple of hundred $.

·
Premium Member
11,012 Posts
Voice of experience caution: save your old parts, you might want to switch back, use them on another axe, or whatever. I've got bins full of parts now, but I wish I had some of those parts from 30 years ago that I didn't value like I should have.

Hotrodding guitars is the only treament for GAS known to mankind.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its not so much the pickups themselves, i guess its the covers, now that i know they are seperate :)

Thanks for the info.

As for 'yellowing' being cool, that may be true, but not my style :)

thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts