The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given a rather old looking Husqvarna chainsaw today. The guy says it's "at least 30yrs old". I can dabble in the realm of small engines, but very basic. Anyone in here know a thing or two about these?? I've looked on line, and despite the "Practica" on the right side, it may be a "Rancher". Not sure. Guessing 1980's.

Looking to help me date it, and/or leads to a good chainsaw forum.

And no, the stop-bar is not a crude replacement, that is original. This sucker was made in Sweden! Nothing like the cheap junk they are putting their name on these days.

Wood Tool Asphalt Bumper Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Saw chain Automotive design Bumper
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Automotive design
Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Tool Automotive design

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
10,105 Posts
I was given a rather old looking Husqvarna chainsaw today. The guy says it's "at least 30yrs old". I can dabble in the realm of small engines, but very basic. Anyone in here know a thing or two about these?? I've looked on line, and despite the "Practica" on the right side, it may be a "Rancher". Not sure. Guessing 1980's.

And no, the stop-bar is not a crude replacement, that is original. This sucker was made in Sweden! Nothing like the cheap junk they are putting their name on these days.

View attachment 374898 View attachment 374899 View attachment 374900 View attachment 374901

This is a great make. My husband swears by this company of big boy toys. Excellent quality.

·
Premium Member
11,553 Posts
thats really cool. Im a chainsaw guy but dont know anything about vintage ones at all.
I should probably consider selling 1 or 2 as I dont have very many trees left around my house any more, and we sold our cottage. I had ambitions to mill my own timber there for awhile. I did a few beams from the oaks we had, but didnt have a use for them lol

Does it work?

·
Premium Member
11,553 Posts
Stihl is the best tho.
not that simple...Stihl makes a range of lines from typical home depot saws to pro-level.
at the home depot level, the stihl products ive owned were no better than Echo, Husky etc at a similar price point. The stihl string trimmer i had was actually down in power compared to the echo one i had, for example.

Reactions: tomee2

·
Premium Member
19,057 Posts
I have this little Homelite. It still turns over but I haven't tried to start it in years. These days I use pretty much all electric rechargable tools.

·
Registered
886 Posts
My dad had a bunch of vintage chainsaw at home, mostly from the dump, that he rehabbed. The on I used the most was a sweet Jonsered that had a dodgy dead man's clutch.

We has a big wind at the cottage a few years back, and that Jonsered did yeoman's duty....until one of the fallen trees bound on the blade. After that, it was all bow saw work. Ugh.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stihl is the best tho.
I disagree. I am an ECHO guy. My 18' workhorse has been with me for 15yrs, and never a spot of trouble. I bought my wife the little guy. It's not just a downsized saw, the handle is balanced so you can comfortably 1 hand it. Those two have been the major part of how we get our heat in the winter.

I have a top of the line Stihl trimmer that fights me every God damn Spring!

thats really cool. Im a chainsaw guy but dont know anything about vintage ones at all.
I should probably consider selling 1 or 2 as I dont have very many trees left around my house any more, and we sold our cottage. I had ambitions to mill my own timber there for awhile. I did a few beams from the oaks we had, but didnt have a use for them lol

Does it work?
I would love to rough cut timber. Just don't have the justification right now.

I literally have it in my trunk at work, no idea if it starts. I will give it a whirl this evening.

not that simple...Stihl makes a range of lines from typical home depot saws to pro-level.
at the home depot level, the stihl products ive owned were no better than Echo, Husky etc at a similar price point. The stihl string trimmer i had was actually down in power compared to the echo one i had, for example.
Agreed. You can get gems and duds from any brand. Based on nothing but good from my 2 ECHO's, "the best". The nightmare of my Stihl string trimmer, "the worst". Neither one were the low end of their offerings, so I am not comparing ECHO's best vs Stihl's disposable stuff.

Seeing as this is a Husq built in Sweden not offshore, I have hopes it is worth saving.

·
Registered
1965 Fender Mustang, Ampegs, anything to test an amp.
1,419 Posts
I got my saw from McNeely's in Carp, back in 1983. It's a Pioneer P28, about the same year as your Husky. I used it a lot back then but have not used it for 20 years. It's definitely a young man's pastime. It was quite the rush cutting through large timber. I was hooked on watching the competitions...now those are some saws.
It was fun tinkering with the engine. Keep the jets clean in the carb and make sure the air filter is clean and non-restrictive. I imagine it has an auto lube system, keep the bar-oil reservoir topped-up and always use a bar with sharp cutters. I bought a bench grinder to sharpen my own cutters...it will pay off quickly if you use the saw regularly.

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
I was about to say about the same... Husqvarna also has the big box saws and the pro saws.
I bought an Echo CS590 last spring to replace a small Husky I bought at Home Depot 5 years ago. The Echo is better than that model Husqvarna for sure.
The Echo is also made in Japan, so it's very good quality for the money.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts

View attachment 374898

Looks like it could be a 1984-ish Husqvarna 61.

Husqvarna are great saws,... but I've been using the Stihl line for 3 decades now. My previous employer provided them when I started as a Forester years ago and they were always very reliable. Did handstands when they came out with the heated handle grips,... made those -20°C to -30°C days way more comfortable on the hands, lol 🥶.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks like it could be a 1984-ish Husqvarna 61.

Husqvarna are great saws,... but I've been using the Stihl line for 3 decades now. My previous employer provided them when I started as a Forester years ago and they were always very reliable. Did handstands when they came out with the heated handle grips,... made those -20°C to -30°C days way more comfortable on the hands, lol 🥶.
View attachment 374967 View attachment 374968 View attachment 374969
Wow! Those are great pics!

I found that video too. I’m thinking it’s the same era. Now I just have to get it running!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I had a Stihl 026 for a number of years and while I know Stihl is a respected name mine was a POS from new. When it did run it was an impressive saw, quite powerful for a 48cc engine. I ended up giving to a friend as long as he promised to never give it back. When I started to shop for a new saw I asked the local loggers what to get and the vast majority were Husky users. I was looking for something a bit smaller and easier to carry as I have 100 acres of bush with a couple of km of trails to maintain as well as fall firewood and I'm not getting any younger. I ended up with a smaller Husky, honestly don't remember the model, and it's performed flawlessly for 4 or 5 years now.

·
Premium Member
11,679 Posts

Not far from my summer place is Chainsaw Drive. (Think I posted this before.) No connection, I just think it’s cool.

I switched to an electric chainsaw as soon as they weren’t utter junk and I didn’t need to saw anything huge.

·
Registered
10,105 Posts
I agree. We have so many Stihl products. My husband loves this brand. Never a problem ever. His hedge trimmer is about 10 years old and still fires up after one pull.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts