The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a huge aviation buff especially Cold War fighter aircraft. I used to see Italian F 104 Starfighters all the time when I visited my grandparents way back. Very cool to see someone restoring and actually flying a Canadian CF 104.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Rocket with wings.

There's a few of them around in private hands.

A hot ship with a bit of a reputation as a widow maker.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Two people I work with have fathers that flew Starfighters in Germany in the 60's. One of them has a great photo of his dad flying a Starfighter in front of a castle. Mandatory photo op for every Canuck pilot deployed there. The other has a certificate from Lockheed certifying that he flew Mach 2 in a Starfighter. Very cool stuff. As for a widow maker one almost killed Chuck Yeager. He has a great story in one of his books. Both are excellent reads for plane geeks.

·
Super Moderator
385 Posts
The Yeager incident is memorialized in The Right Stuff.

My uncle flew them in Germany in the 60s, probably with the above mentioned guys. He started on Sabres, and transitioned to CF-104s at the end of his RCAF time. He had offers to fly airliners when he came back home, declined, and went to work at the mine. Never flew again. I'm sure there's a story, but I don't know it...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had an uncle that flew Sabres in Germany in the 50's. Got lots of pics and some 8mm home movies of those and other aircraft back in Canada. (Also footage of skiing in Switzerland from back then, all good stuff). Sadly, I never met him, his "career" ended in a Sabre. He was a great influence On me however, as I spent 40 odd years in airplanes myself. A very interesting era in aviation for sure, and some of the last stick and rudder dogfighters.

cheers

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Chuck Yeager's book is fantastic

here is an interview where actually he talks about the 104 crash

Yeager & the NF-104

·
Registered
12,248 Posts
the wing design demanded an abnormally high landing speed compared to most other jets of that time. it was like flying a dart, i suspect. it's a sexy plane.
my personal fav though, is the f-16. i just like the way they looked.
today's f-35 is pretty bad-ass too. people go on and on about cost over runs, but all fighters come in way over budget.

·
Super Moderator
385 Posts
Very cool.

Brian, let's see those pics, and especially the videos! If you don't want to share them publicly, PM me, and we can share on google drive.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Very cool.

Brian, let's see those pics, and especially the videos! If you don't want to share them publicly, PM me, and we can share on google drive.
I will see what I can do about posting pics - no Flickr or whatever account. The video will be a little tougher. All 8mm celluloid which is getting difficult to digitize where I live. Will let you know.

Apologies to the OP for thread drift, I have no 104 stuff - just the relative in Germany connection

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I will see what I can do about posting pics - no Flickr or whatever account. The video will be a little tougher. All 8mm celluloid which is getting difficult to digitize where I live. Will let you know.

Apologies to the OP for thread drift, I have no 104 stuff - just the relative in Germany connection
All good. Would be great to see what you have.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts