The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mesa Celestion V30 and C90 speakers. How long before they are really broken in?
They sound great clean, and I am hoping they will sound as good as my 15 year old Mesa V30’s in time.

Overdriven they don’t sound quite right yet. I don’t get to play them to their full potential often.

It took me a couple of years to get the Jensen in my PRRI to sound the way it should. It had that sound of potential when new, but took too long to get as sweet as it is now.

·
Premium Member
4,557 Posts
Somewhere around 30 or 40 hours worth of playing IIRC

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Somewhere around 30 or 40 hours worth of playing IIRC
Hard, loud playing, or a mix?
I don’t think that I push speakers hard enough to achieve a faster break in. I spend most of my time on the 5 watt setting.

·
Premium Member
4,557 Posts
A little bit of everything. Use them like you normally would. When I bought my 2x12 and loaded it up I did a bit of reading. You can hook your boom box to it and go to work if you want. But vary the loudness, vary the tone. I would sometimes hook up my digitech trio and let it play bass and drums for an hour . LOL.

There is a faster way, but it involves reverse phasing (or something like that) Take the two speakers and pointing them at each other with one wired backwards. The bass
sounds cancel each other out but the highs are still audible. You can leave them like that all day and bother no one

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
There is a faster way, but it involves reverse phasing (or something like that) Take the two speakers and pointing them at each other with one wired backwards. The bass
sounds cancel each other out but the highs are still audible. You can leave them like that all day and bother no one
Yea, that's an old trick for hi-fi speaker boxes. But it wouldn't work for a pair of drivers hanging in free space. They would each need to be in a box with the back waves blocked out.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I set my cab up and wrapped couch cushins around it...ran my ipod into my old solid state amp...ran rock and bass heavy music thru the amp cranked for three days while i was at work...worked for me

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some time has gone by, but the improvement is still not fully there. I know my playing volume has not been very loud, since I spend most of my time on the amps 5 watt settings.

I got my old Traynor TS-50 solid state amp up and running again. I am going to use it to break in the Celestion speakers. Basically don’t want to use up tubes, or leave a tube amp running with no one home. I will try to give the speakers a 40 hour break in, or more, as suggested by ezcomes.

Clean they sound very good, but at times sound off when driven. Surprisingly, a Jensen 12 100 Neo sounds great in the Mesa Express 5 25 plus. I will likely leave that speaker in the combo amp for furthering evaluation. The last couple of days have been more satisfying with the Jensen. The driven tones are much more musical on all four channel settings.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I use the ol' Ted Weber/Uncle Spot variac break-in method; works great for me (just do it in an enclosed room unless you're a big fan of 60-cycle AC hum!!)

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
Yea, that's an old trick for hi-fi speaker boxes. But it wouldn't work for a pair of drivers hanging in free space. They would each need to be in a box with the back waves blocked out.
You can just mount them cone to cone (use twist ties or whatever) not even in a box (but do stick the whole lot in a closet or something) - the break in does not have to sound good, the idea is to run them all day at some significant volume without bothering the whole neighborhood, so it is possible that just parallel on the floor (not in boxes - less audible bass that way) should do as well for this purpose.

The only reason hifi subwoofers did this (it is very inefficient) was to allow for a super small box (box volume is almost irrelevant, because the backwards movement of 1 cone = the forward movement of the other so volume and internal pressure remain constant) and to reduce vibrations/resonances.

* because it's missing from the quote I will repeat that one speaker is to be wired out of phase

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Turn the speaker floor side down/cover with pillows/couch cushions etc (or not). Hook up your Ditto and crank out your favourite mix of chords/notes, dive bombs whatever and let'er run on a loop for a day or so. Done.

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
You can just mount them cone to cone (use twist ties or whatever) not even in a box (but do stick the whole lot in a closet or something) - the break in does not have to sound good, the idea is to run them all day at some significant volume without bothering the whole neighborhood, so it is possible that just parallel on the floor (not in boxes - less audible bass that way) should do as well for this purpose.

The only reason hifi subwoofers did this (it is very inefficient) was to allow for a super small box (box volume is almost irrelevant, because the backwards movement of 1 cone = the forward movement of the other so volume and internal pressure remain constant) and to reduce vibrations/resonances.

* because it's missing from the quote I will repeat that one speaker is to be wired out of phase
Open frame drivers won't cancel out sound with this technique if the backs of the drivers are opened and emitting sound. Doesn't matter what it sounds like, its about trying to reduce the noise. It's only in a box that this will work.

The same with dipoles. Magneplanars, for instance, won't cancel each other out if put face to face and run out-of-phase like a pair of box speakers will. It isn't perfect and depends on the design of the box, but speakers without rear emissions and a relatively inert box will self-cancel a lot of the lows and mids out. The highs can be muffled.

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
It will be less bass than 2 drivers in phase. Just riffing off the out of phase idea.

For cancelling out best to leave them not in boxes on floor, 1 wired out of phase may increase cancellation. There will never be total cancellation; it's a matter of degrees. And you can never null the back wave, only partially absorb it (or, depending on cab, put it to use; harness it).

You're the one who said stick them in a cab (where they will cancel no more or less than a dipole, if sealed, and if open, not cancel nearly as much as just laying on the floor).

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
I disagree. If the box is absorbing or blocking the back wave and not resonating excessively, the only noise is coming out the front. And the majority of the lows and mids of the front wave cancel each other out. You've left with something tinny, like an iphone speaker. I've seen it done. I just prefer to break mine in the old fashioned way - playing music.

I've seen even more cancellation than in this video, when the plinth isn't as large and the speakers can be closer together.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts