The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was told by an amp tech I really respect that I shouldn't even mess around with anything but Celestion. That they are worth the premium and will save money in the long term given that I'll likely be happy with the sound and not want to change them for something else. He said there's a reason Celestion are an upgrade option on many amps.

I have a Garnet 2x12 cab with vintage speakers that I am very unhappy with. At first I thought it was the amp, but then I played the head through a 1x15" I have and it sounded fantastic. So now I'm on a quest to select the right speakers for its cab. I could watch Kijiji for whatever turns up, or I could just buy new from a Canadian supplier like Next Gen.

What are your thoughts? Celestion, WGS, Emminence, other?

The amp is a Garnet Rebel B90 with the stinger. The cab is closed back. Any speaker recommendations? With this amp, I'm going for Gordie Johnson's tone if I can. I have a home-made Herzog to go with it.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
I was told by an amp tech I really respect that I shouldn't even mess around with anything but Celestion. That they are worth the premium and will save money in the long term given that I'll likely be happy with the sound and not want to change them for something else. He said there's a reason Celestion are an upgrade option on many amps.

I have a Garnet 2x12 cab with vintage speakers that I am very unhappy with. At first I thought it was the amp, but then I played the head through a 1x15" I have and it sounded fantastic. So now I'm on a quest to select the right speakers for its cab. I could watch Kijiji for whatever turns up, or I could just buy new from a Canadian supplier like Next Gen.

What are your thoughts? Celestion, WGS, Emminence, other?

The amp is a Garnet B90 with the stinger. The cab is closed back. Any speaker recommendations? With this amp, I'm going for Gordie Johnson's tone if I can. I have a home-made Herzog to go with it.
Celestions are very popular for Marshally flavours. But they aren't the only choice. I'm usually fond of Eminence speakers for that stuff too.

My personal favorite speakers are vintage Jensens, but I'm a Fendery guy.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
The amp is a Garnet Rebel B90 with the stinger. The cab is closed back.
You got a bass amp! I would imagine you have the Marsland GB1275 bass speakers in there.
Are these them ?

I have some of these but only used them for bass..

Speakers are always an upgrade, plus reversible...
I tend to agree with Cboutilier , I would go with Celestions for Garnet.

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts
Eminence makes a lot of really nice speakers as well.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You got a bass amp! I would imagine you have the Marsland GB1275 bass speakers in there.
Are these them ?
Yeah it's a bass amp. At first that was why I thought it didn't sound good with guitar - that the tonestack was optimized for bass. But it's really the speakers. They look like your pic from what I remember. On the front side the cones have an aluminum centre.

Do any particular Celestions sound better with a closed back cab?

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
They're quite a few different values between the too if you look at the schematic.

I imagine your bass kit looks like this ?

My L90 Rebel and cab:
My cab is ported in the back.

Celestions sound great in a closed back. I would suggest looking at youtube for different sounds from models... Sound is really a personal item...

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I have bought and sold many speakers over the years but only regret selling one pair.

Eminence Wizards - they really do everything really well.

Closed back cabs provide that depth and thump that makes guitarists giddy.
Greenbacks in a closed back cab are a huge part of the Marshall sound.

Gordie Johnson was a big proponent of Traynor 412 cabs and he stuffed them with....

Gordie Johnson of Big Sugar found his tone with Eminence | Eminence Speaker

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts
I have an Eminence Wizard paired with n Eminence Govenor and it sounds killer in my 2x12

·
Premium Member
16,815 Posts
Saying Celestion is the only speaker is like saying Gibson or Fender are the only guitar brands - he's biased towards Celestion, and that's fine. But Eminence and WGS have been keeping customers happy for years.

Buy the speaker you like the sound of (at least on paper). If you buy a new one, you have the option to return it for another if it's not for you.

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
I have a few different amps and cabs with different speakers right now including a weber, a Jensen, celestion, scumback and wgs.

They all sound good.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I imagine your bass kit looks like this ?
Yup -that's it exactly.

They're quite a few different values between the too if you look at the schematic.
Yeah - I saw that before when I first got the amp. Which is why I thought it sounded so poor with guitar. But I really is just the speakers. There are still tons of good guitar tones in there - even with the bass optimized values.

Reactions: Frenchy99

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have an Eminence Wizard paired with n Eminence Govenor and it sounds killer in my 2x12
Nice. I may do that instead of two the same. Good to hear these complement each other well.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Saying Celestion is the only speaker is like saying Gibson or Fender are the only guitar brands - he's biased towards Celestion, and that's fine. But Eminence and WGS have been keeping customers happy for years.
Exactly. So to hear a guy make such an unequivocal statement - makes you wonder. But of course you are right - I have Jensens and even a Peavey speaker/cab that sound fantastic.

Reactions: jb welder
1 - 14 of 14 Posts