The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find any info on these speakers. They're in a no-name cabinet I have that's about 25 years old. I've been googling, and I've found a lot of speakers that are close but have another letter after the 12 and a different style of label. Any info/opinions about how they compare to other speakers would be greatly apreciated.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that link. I'd looked around their website and didn't find anything like the speakers I have, and since I'm looking for general opinions more than tech info I don't think there's much point to contacting them. I'm surprised that with all the techs here no one has any opinions on these speakers.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
kat_ said:
I'm surprised that with all the techs here no one has any opinions on these speakers.

If they are so rare that you can't find out anything about them then why would you expect us techs to know all about them? :confused:

Besides, most techs spend their time sniffing solder inside amps. How often would any particular tech likely see your speakers?

Capacitors, maybe. :tongue:

Anyhow, there used to be a link at Celestion's site to ask questions. They've helped me a couple of times to get info on obsolete models.

A great site is Ted Weber's company website: http://www.webervst.com

If you poke around you'll discover some forums. Click on the one for speakers and you'll find a whole passle of regular users who might be able to help if you post your question.

Ted himself might chime in with an answer! He's an incredibly knowledgeable guy. I swear if it weren't for the fact that he's not old enough he might have INVENTED the speaker!:bow:

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wild Bill said:
If they are so rare that you can't find out anything about them then why would you expect us techs to know all about them?
I just hoped someone may have seen some like them before. I didn't mean any offence.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I have also found very little info on the Marshall branded Celestions in my JTM60.

All that really matters, though, is do you like how they sound?

Google is your friend, I found this:
"Celestion G12-30 (1982) 15 ohm (wired in at 8) Marshall cabinet's stock speaker in the 70s, bright tight high end, used by Yngwie's 1980s setup and others for fast attack and clear tone. Date code HQ16"
and if you need replacements:
http://www.avatarspeakers.com/celestion%20blowout.htm

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I believe those are the speakers Marshall put in their cheaper cabs and combos during the late 70s and 80s. The speakers are decent, but generally not as well liked as the G12H-30, Greenbacks, Blues etc.

However, I do think there are some fans of these things and, if memory serves, some metal guys like them because Yngvie (sp?) used them.

TG

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
kat_ said:
I just hoped someone may have seen some like them before. I didn't mean any offence.
No offense taken at this end!

I also know how much a PITA it can be to find out such info.

Good luck and I hope my posts and link are useful to you.

:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the comments guys. When I couldn't find much through google I didn't know if they were rare because they're good, or rare because they're junk, or just not written about because they're too common to bother mentioning. Sounds like it's more of the latter.

My amp does sound very 80s. Guess that's not just because of the fake snakeskin tolex on the head. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts