The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

New to the forum and wanted to post this guitar that’s been in my family since new.
It’s a 1969 CBS MW Y1050 Hand Made Exclusively by Kazuo Yairi in Japan
I’ll post pics...
This guitar sounds like a church choir full of 9 year old boys. It hasn’t been TLC’d for decades so I’m off to brother Long and brother McQuade for a cleaning and set-up.

Does anyone have any more info on KY built stuff from the ‘60’s? Fender sold to CBS I understand for a stint back then, and KY would have only been only 35 years old....

Make me an offer!

Andy

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
I would love to have that guitar but am afraid it is beyond the price I would pay for a guitar. It is a very special one for sure. K. Yairi was a master builder and anyone who has played his guitars knows they are in the upper echelon in quality and tone. Here are some links for you. There are some knowledgeable people over at AGF that can likely help you. My guess is that pricing would be somewhere between $2000.00-4000.00.

Alvarez-Yairi- K. Yairi Discussion Group (Guitarsite)

Can Anyone Tell Me About This Guitar? - Page 2 - The Acoustic Guitar Forum

·
Premium Member
3,911 Posts
I used to have an Alvarez Yairi that was ok. There were a few Yairi guitar makers, but I think the one you have is one of the good ones. I think the Alvarez Yairi ones were another Yairi (brother or son of K.) and a bit cheaper, with laminated sides and back. Post some pics.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
I used to have an Alvarez Yairi that was ok. There were a few Yairi guitar makers, but I think the one you have is one of the good ones. I think the Alvarez Yairi ones were another Yairi (brother or son of K.) and a bit cheaper, with laminated sides and back. Post some pics.
There was S. Yairi and K. Yairi. They both made solid and laminated b/s guitars. However, K. Yairi is known the the better builder of the two although an S. Yairi guitar is also a fine instrument.

·
Premium Member
17,433 Posts
I’ll post pics...
Welcome to the forum! If you want to post pics directly from your computer, you will need to become a member (~$18.00/year). If you do not have a membership, you will need to use a host (e.g., Imgur).

Make me an offer!
If you want to sell the guitar, there is a special section in the forum. You must be a member and state an asking price.

Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 8.54.38 AM.png

·
Registered
151 Posts
I had quite a few Sadao Yairis while in Japan, all from the 1960s except the one1971 that I brought back to Canada with me because it was the best of the bunch. Sometimes AKA as Sada Yairi, like a nick name in English, Robert becomes Bob type thing. None of mine were laminates, all were very nice, well made guitars but simply could not bring them all back with me. Sada is long dead and according to info in Japan he was either the brother or cousin of Kazuo, who is, to my knowledge still alive and evidently not very willing to discuss Sadao. There is a long history of Kazuo in my Japan Vintage book with tons of pics and info, sadly all in Japanese but according to that book, he returned to Japan in 1964 to begin building his own line so if yours in from 1969, it is quite early. My oldest Sada Yairi was dated 1964 and had figured mahogany back and sides.

·
Registered
151 Posts
died 2014, I was still in Japan, shocked I did not hear about that. At the local Rock Inn shop they had techs from the Kazuo factory coming to the city and I asked the staff if I could bring my Sadao guitars but they suggested it probably wouldn't be a good idea so there was bad blood. He left a legacy that will continue for a long time to come.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone,

New to the forum and wanted to post this guitar that’s been in my family since new.
It’s a 1969 CBS MW Y1050 Hand Made Exclusively by Kazuo Yairi in Japan
I’ll post pics...
This guitar sounds like a church choir full of 9 year old boys. It hasn’t been TLC’d for decades so I’m off to brother Long and brother McQuade for a cleaning and set-up.

Does anyone have any more info on KY built stuff from the ‘60’s? Fender sold to CBS I understand for a stint back then, and KY would have only been only 35 years old....

Make me an offer!

Andy
Hi Andrew - My brother-in-law passed away recently - he was a great guitar player - I am helping my sister by selling his 5 guitars - one of them is exactly what you described - a Y1050 Hand Made by Kasuo Yairi - I was wondering if you sold your and if so how and if you can share how much you got for it - I am in Ottawa

1 - 11 of 11 Posts