The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What has happened to CBC Radio 2?

I have been an avid listener for many many years beginning in the early 1990’s when Ross Porter and Andy Sheppard took you into the night on After Hours. Then it was Tonic with Tim Tamashiro and The Signal with Laurie Brown. I also listen to Tempo with Julie Nesralla, Shift with Tom Allen, Drive with Rich Terfry, Deep Roots with Tom Power, Vinyl Tap with Randy Bachman, and Strombo show on Sunday nights.

CBC Radio 2 junkie. Yep that’s me. Or it was. I even had my son’s hooked on Tonic and The Signal. It was great listening to quality music and stories with them. They loved it as much as I did.

But things have changed drastically over the last few months. Tonic and the Signal have been replaced and even the morning show has become more.....mainstream pop. In fact, this morning, on my way in to work, I frantically shut off the radio 3 notes into a Mariah Carey tune. Seriously???? Really??? Mariah Carey on CBC???

I get, and admire, Tim Tam for his shift and “Journey to a more meaningful me” (his new blog on YouTube). But the replacement programs on CBC R2 have lost me.

I’m now listening to Radio 1, talk shows no less. Damn I’m getting old!

Ok, I have vented. I feel better. Thanks for reading.

·
Premium Member
17,169 Posts
Sounds like you need to put an ipod in the car.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
I used to listen to CBC 2 all the time, haven't in a while though

Tom Allen is great: it's nice to hear classical music that has someone enthusiastic, and knowledgable talking about WTF is going on

unlike the "relaxing music for old people" crap they play on classical fm

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I hear you! radio 2's playlist now seems about as short as most commercial radio stations. The same poppy neo-soul songs spit out over and over. I was once an avid listener and discovered some great music through radio 2, but now it's incredibly mainstream. The morning show and drive home slot are unbearable. I didn't even realize the Singal was gone

·
Registered
24,686 Posts
What has happened to CBC Radio 2?

I have been an avid listener for many many years beginning in the early 1990’s when Ross Porter and Andy Sheppard took you into the night on After Hours. Then it was Tonic with Tim Tamashiro and The Signal with Laurie Brown. I also listen to Tempo with Julie Nesralla, Shift with Tom Allen, Drive with Rich Terfry, Deep Roots with Tom Power, Vinyl Tap with Randy Bachman, and Strombo show on Sunday nights.

CBC Radio 2 junkie. Yep that’s me. Or it was. I even had my son’s hooked on Tonic and The Signal. It was great listening to quality music and stories with them. They loved it as much as I did.

But things have changed drastically over the last few months. Tonic and the Signal have been replaced and even the morning show has become more.....mainstream pop. In fact, this morning, on my way in to work, I frantically shut off the radio 3 notes into a Mariah Carey tune. Seriously???? Really??? Mariah Carey on CBC???

I get, and admire, Tim Tam for his shift and “Journey to a more meaningful me” (his new blog on YouTube). But the replacement programs on CBC R2 have lost me.

I’m now listening to Radio 1, talk shows no less. Damn I’m getting old!

Ok, I have vented. I feel better. Thanks for reading.
I go back to when Brent Bambury used to do Brave New Waves, and would wave the flag high for The Sugarcubes and Sigur Ros.
I imagine funding cuts have worked their magic at both CBC 1 and 2. CBC Overnight used to have shows from multiple public broadcasters between 1 and 5 AM, including Radio Sweden, Radio Moscow, Radio Netherlands, Deutsche Welle, in addition to BBC and Australian Broadcasting Corporation. It was a great way to learn how the rest of the world viewed things and prioritized news events. Then they introduced podcasts from Monocle Radio ( Radio ) and PRI's The World ( PRI's The World ). More recently, they fill that same slot with repeats of CBC Ideas and The Current. Both good shows, but it's starting to feel like a station that shows Simpsons, Big Bang Theory, Law and Order, and Everybody Loves Raymond reruns, with the number of shows they rerun 2 and 3 times a day to fill up airspace for no addition overhead costs. You will also note that many of the same shows run on Radio 1 and 2.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I've started listening to podcasts in the car and on the GO train and it's great. It's like radio on demand. You only listen to the stuff you want to listen to. It's all free as well. I use the app Podcast Addict.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hear you! radio 2's playlist now seems about as short as most commercial radio stations. The same poppy neo-soul songs spit out over and over. I was once an avid listener and discovered some great music through radio 2, but now it's incredibly mainstream. The morning show and drive home slot are unbearable. I didn't even realize the Singal was gone
We are on the same page.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
I've started listening to podcasts in the car and on the GO train and it's great. It's like radio on demand. You only listen to the stuff you want to listen to. It's all free as well. I use the app Podcast Addict.
Sometimes the randomness of not being in control of the playlist is the best part. You get exposed to stuff you’d never think of putting on your playlist. I’ve been turned on to some great music by listening to radio. When I drive on a long trip I just tune in random radio stations. I look for stuff I normally would turn off.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Stratcat, why don't you contact CBC and ask them what's up?

probably more productive than just ranting on a gtr forum! :D

without any feedback, I doubt they'd be aware of any unhappy listeners

Reactions: StratCat

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sometimes the randomness of not being in control of the playlist is the best part. You get exposed to stuff you’d never think of putting on your playlist. I’ve been turned on to some great music by listening to radio. When I drive on a long trip I just tune in random radio stations. I look for stuff I normally would turn off.

This is exactly my thought. Putting my iPod on random play is just not the same. And the stories the hosts share is interesting and always something new.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
I will try to listen to CBC2 as well, & see if I notice the same!

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
I often turn off CBC because they don't seem to realize how annoying it is to hear the announcer suck in every breath. Sure, you paid thousands for that microphone, but even I have sibilance control on my gear. You know, I think I will send them an email right now as Bolero suggested...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts