1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
and now they want to try to bring them out by teaching them to scuba dive with a buddy system just cant figure pout how they survived for 10 days

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
One of the rare times there’s great news being reported. Hopefully it doesn’t take nearly as long as speculated to get them out.

P

·
0 Posts
They are thinking about leaving them there until October. How awful would that be...

·
Registered
24,689 Posts
And we thought the rescue of the Chilean miners was something special. I certainly wish for a happy outcome for the kids, the rescuers, and all their families, but if any of these kids gets out alive, it's beyond miraculous. Not only do they have to be taught how to use scuba gear, but apparently none of them know how to swim. The rescue divers are going to have to be master coaches, and the boys a very quick study.

The cross-section diagrams we've seen on the news give a partial sense of how difficult extrication will be. One can't really tell if there are any feasible options for pumping water out of the cave.

As for how much trouble the coach is in for taking them in there, at this point we don't know how much of the distance they traveled was because they were trying to get away from flooding water, simply because they meandered out of curiosity, or because the coach suggested they go a little further For all we know, it was the coach who got them out of trouble by moving them further inside where there actually was a ledge they could stay high and dry on. Once the kids or their bodies are removed from the cave, I imagine we'll all learn a little more about how things went down.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still a very tense situation there. The cave section in which the boys and their coach have been trapped for over two weeks is getting low on oxygen. The boys can't just scuba-dive out because (a) not reliable on diving equipment despite ongoing training and (b) can't find wet-suits small enough for several of the boys. Concern is rising.

Elon Musk (Paypal, Tesla, SpaceX) has offered to help with some of his engineers and proposed the novel idea of a metre-wide nylon tube that could be pulled into the cave and inflated so the boys could crawl out. No comment in the report I saw from officials actually on-scene about whether this is even remotely feasible, but an interesting idea.

·
Premium Member
10,045 Posts
Still a very tense situation there. The cave section in which the boys and their coach have been trapped for over two weeks is getting low on oxygen. The boys can't just scuba-dive out because (a) not reliable on diving equipment despite ongoing training and (b) can't find wet-suits small enough for several of the boys. Concern is rising.

Elon Musk (Paypal, Tesla, SpaceX) has offered to help with some of his engineers and proposed the novel idea of a metre-wide nylon tube that could be pulled into the cave and inflated so the boys could crawl out. No comment in the report I saw from officials actually on-scene about whether this is even remotely feasible, but an interesting idea.
4 are out as of now.

·
Premium Member
17,604 Posts
Brilliant!

4 are out as of now.
Many Thanks for this update.
I am so happy and hope that all make it out safely very soon.

·
Registered
24,689 Posts
Eight out of 13 so far. I am suitably impressed. The qualifier is that they began with the healthiest boys. I gather that was to test the protocol under the best possible circumstances, which makes perfect sense. The question is whether the remaining boys and the coach are of sufficient health to get out as successfully as the first 8. Still, this is better than I was expecting, and I am grateful for that.

Of course, at the same time, we have dozens dying from heat in Montreal, over a hundred killed in floods in Japan, and folks on standby from wildfires in the North Bay area. I guess we only get a small daily allotment of good news. Cherish it.

·
Registered
9,073 Posts
I haven't been following this story all that carefully so don't know if this answer is out there or not - how did they get stuck in there in the first place? If they got in, why couldn't they simply turn around and go back out the way they went in?

·
Premium Member
17,604 Posts
I haven't been following this story all that carefully so don't know if this answer is out there or not - how did they get stuck in there in the first place? If they got in, why couldn't they simply turn around and go back out the way they went in?
Read the links in the first couple of posts of this thread.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts